How do I cut plexiglass?

Page 1 of 2
I got to remove a few inches to fit in a window. It's a big piece too, almost 4 feet and I have to cut off 2 inches the fill length. How do I cut plexiglass?
On 10/11/2010 8:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

My friend GB used to build video game cabinets and he used a carbide toothed blade on his table saw to cut Plexiglas.
TDD
On 10/11/2010 9:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I have cut plexi with a electric saw with the blade on backwards.

How do I open a web browser, get to a search site like google and come up with some clever search string like "cut plexiglass"?
Maybe the nine year old across the street can help.

Jigsaw,hacksaw,handsaw,tin snips,........
On 10/11/2010 7:02 PM AZ Nomad spake thus:

So again with the unhelpful snarkiness.
Look, pal, it's a *home repair newsgroup*. A place where people come to ask questions about, oh, I don't know, HOME REPAIR???
Next time just STFU.
On Oct 11, 8:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Table saw, sharp carbide 80 tooth blade. Dozens of posts on this topic in this NG. Check the archives. Or simply ask the techs at a plastics supply house, via Yellow Pages.
Joe

I wish I'd had the Famous Usenet Multitool back when I had to cut some lucite panels.
On Oct 11, 8:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

What thickness, the thinner stuff cracks easily with a saw if you let it move or catch on the blade, My Ace hardware uses a glass cutter table, they score and snap, use a sharp fine tooth blade on whatever you use and go slow.
On 10/11/2010 9:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

A RotoZip or equivalent works well. Use a guide to make a straight cut. My son used my RotoZip to cut 1 foot square panels that were about 5/16" thick. It made nice clean cuts.
In wrote:

5/16" was NOT plexiglas.
On 10/13/2010 11:19 AM, Twayne wrote:

why not?
--
Steve Barker
On 10/13/2010 11:19 AM, Twayne wrote:

nevermind. I get it. It doesn't COME in that thickness. I never knew that.
--
Steve Barker
In wrote:

LOL! That's the strangest way of proving something I've ever seen! A list that does NOT show what I said? Cute.
I did err though; the OP said "about" 5/16 inch. So it could have been on either side of it, depending on how he measured or guessed its thickness.
Also, Plexiglas is NOT a simple acrylic sheet, acrylic is simply used to create it. Plexiglass has its own characteristics if you'll look up the compositions, which I'm sure you're going to "prove" differently as well as you did above! lol.
And the on-topic discussion was how to cut it, not what's it made of? The easiest way is to score it and snap it over a table/board edge, whatever. It's right on the protective cover of all the ones I've ever bought. And a tool for it is also recommended; think I paid $3.99 for the last one I bought.
HTH,
Twayne`

Finally, someone with the correct answer.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote the following:

They make a hand tool to cut plexiglas. It's like a carpet knife but works like a glass cutter. You use it with a straightedge. Just scratch deeply a few times along the straightedge, then snap the plastic. http://makezine.com/pub/tool/Plexiglass_cutter
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In wrote the following:

Finally, someone who knows what he's talking about amongst all these idiots and guessers.

Completely useless on a slab of 2" thick plexiglass. Who's the idiot?
nb

Ya, his window is 2" thick...he must be the president or Bill Gates!
In wrote:

An open mind and one that can read, will note the OP is working with about 5/16" plexiglass. Score and snap are definitely the way to go.
As for your attempt to go in a new direction, you're still wrong, although the machine to snap plexiglass is as expensive as a metal brake. You're a maroon looking for arguements where there are none. Thus, comms with you in particular are at an end; go ahead and rant - I just plain don't care if all you have is unrelated, useless infor for the OP.