How do I create an opening for a wall A/C unit?

Page 2 of 2

Then get one of those portable A/C units. Like this one:
http://www.brookstone.com/bs_assets/images/shop/large_300/346734_p.jpg

This is a fairly simple job. If I read the thread correctly, the opposite side of the wall in open studs, making it easier to work around.
You have to make a box to hold the AC and the studs. One stud has to be cut so you have to put a horizontal piece on the top and the bottom of the opening. They can be tied into the studs on either side and supported with stringers. Take a look at a book that shows framing around a window and you want to make a similar setup.
Mount the AC level and you should have no problems with water dripping. You said you will run tubing, but you really don't want to do that for two reasons: 1. If you drill a hole in the bottom of the pan, you may hit the coil and ruin the Ac to trash. It happens often. 2. The fan is designed to take the condensate and sling the water against the heated coil. This evaporates the water and helps cool the coil for better efficiency.
You may want to consider putting a small fan in the storage room to help blow out the hot air and bring in cooler air.
I see some negatives posted by others about this setup, but it will work. My office at work is inside the manufacturing plant and the AC vents into it. It is also a very hot plant as we use steam for our process. The AC still works though. In the same building, there are a few other business that have similar setups with much larger units.
It will be easy enough to remove the AC and drywall over the opening later. Some paint and it will be invisible.

I actually forgot about that. Almost every plant I've seen has an air conditioned office in the middle of it somewhere, and they often haven't a single wall or ceiling that touches an outside wall or roof.
I wonder if the workers realize that not only are you cool, but you're making them hotter. ;) Probably, but they're tough.

On 9 May 2007 09:43:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I don't think this is going to work as well as you want it to, and leaving that door open is a standing invitation to theives, vermin, and weather problems. Does your condo agreement prevent you from venting out the attic? Are your water rates low enough that you could install a water-cooled heat exchanger and just dump the hot water out the drain?