How do I convert this 220v outlet

I have a device that requires a 220v 20amp outlet. The male plug on this is like:

- | o

I have a 220v 40amp recepticle on the wall which is like:

u | o | _ |

On the plug I assume the two prongs are both hots and the round prong is the saftey ground with no neutral on the plug.

On my recepticle are the two straight slots the hots, the u the saftey ground and the upside down L the neutral?

I can't remove this outlet and my concern is to not mix up the ground and the neutral.

I'm not going to replace the outlet. I just want to make a little extension cord adapter.

Reply to
poison_1024

You sure that's 40A? Looks like a 30A configuration to me...

Go to this page

and verify that what you have is a NEMA 6-20P plug and a NEMA 14-30R receptacle.

IF that's the case, then...

.. correct

.. correct.

Sounds good to me -- assuming that you have what I think you have.

Reply to
Doug Miller

page

htm

You might be right, I thought it was hooked up to two 20 amp breakers but maybe they are 15A breakers. Especially since I don't see any 40A rated outlets on the site. Nice site (although I found the correct url at:

poison_1024

This is a common misconception. A 30A 240V circuit uses a single 30A double-pole breaker (or two single-pole 30A breakers with the handles tied together), not two 15A breakers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen