How do I convert Gas Grill to run off house propane tank???

When we renovated our house, we had our builder put in a propane fitting on our deck to hook a gas grill to. We recently purchased and put together a Charbroil grill and are having problems trying to figure out how to connect it to our deck fitting. I've been told that we should remove the regulator (grill has side burner and the grill & burner lines come to a "T" and then into the regulator). Hubby is disabled so this project is up to me. I've found a pipe that fits over the regulator end to give me mechanical advantage but haven't been able to figure out how to hold the "T" firmly and am not sure whether it turns clockwise or counterclockwise. Any suggestions? Or should I haul the grill to a gas place and have them do it? (nearest gas co. is over 50 miles away).
Appreciate some suggestions. This "simple" project is driving me nutty!
Sandy

Hi Sandy,
Doing gas modifications such as you suggest needs to be done by a lisensed gas fitter. If you do this by yourself and end up with a fire, say goodby to household insurance. So Yes, Take it to a gas company and they'll steer you in the right place... Hope that helps...Jimi
Jimi wrote:

There is no exclusion for stupidity in any homeowner's policy.
Rob

trainfan1 wrote:

The exclusion that does not have to be written into the policy is that it is a legal absurdity to attempt to insure against the consequences of the insureds unlawful act. If the fire code in your state forbids the modification of a listed gas appliance; most do; then any consequences of modifying such an appliance are inherently uninsured.
--
Tom Horne

sandy wrote:

It should be lefty loosey (Counter clockwise), righty tighty (Clockwise). Home cheapo sells a kit with a flex hose if you still need that.
Any plumber should be able to make the connection.
sandy wrote:

It may be simple, it may not. First question, are you sure its propane? Do you have a propane tank somewhere? If you do, it is probably regulated down to 6psi for home entry. That's probably why they said you won't need the regulator on your Charbroil. Don't try to take the Charbroil hose apart, you set yourself up for leaks. Best bet is to get a hose set from a BBQ supply store or the gas company. That way it will be long enough to keep the grill safely away from the house.
Whatever you do, check it for leaks (and not with a match).
Grill fires are not "fun."
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?

I don' tknow what you need for connections, but your gas supplier can help. I inquired about doing the same thing for my grill. To meet the codes, the grill has to have the wheels removed and it must be bolted or otherwise secured to the deck. They would have come out to do the job at $70 an hour for labor.

Before you do anything, make sure your grill is suitable for propane. My Weber grill (natural gas) requires a different burner & valves for bottled LP gas. One of the two gases burns hotter, I think it's LP.
I don't know if natural gas and propane fittings are different, but I would not be surprised if they are.