How do I add freon to a portable air conditioner?

Page 1 of 2
I just got a Haier HPAC7M portable AC w/no manual. I opened it up and didn't see where to add freon. I know each unit is different. I'm just looking for a general idea of what to look for and where.

Once you get the required license to do that type of work, you can get the diagram that shows you where.
Refrigeration is no longer a DIY job.
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Self sufficent wrote:

Do the Pros seriously expect us to believe it's harder then recharging and automobile ?!? (which is common place) After all the braggadocios responces it's any wonder why we don't call for your paid help in the first place.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:44:01 +0000, Self sufficent

It is, because there are no connectors provided. Nothing to screw the hose to. I think cars lose more freon because they bounce around more.

Don't call me. I don't care, and I don't think Ed does either.

If you just want to give it a spritz and pray, put a piercing valve in the low side and shoot some in. If this is a R134 system it is easy to get a little can of gas. I would not count on it for a permanent fix but it might get you through the season.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:36:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't know why I did it but last fall I added "freon" to the car I was borrowing from a friend. It was silly because the hot weather was almost over. I didn't use the whole can, the little cans they sell.
8 months later, I opened the valve a bit and there was still freon inside, under pressure, even though I thought the needle wihich punctured the top of the can wouldn't make a very good seal.
I shut the valve quickly. I suppose now that my car's working again, I shoudl put it in that. Een though the AC works well, I did have to add a can 2 years ago, so there's probably room to add more.
1) EPA certification required. Piercing valve, manifold gages, charge weight scale, and more.
2) Very often, poor cooling is caused by problems other than low freon. What's the discharge temp, the superheat, amp draw, and other data?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The certification takes about 20 minutes on the internet and if this is using a modern gas, it is not even needed.

I doubt anyone is doing any of this on a window shaker. They are really like Bic lighters. You use them until they break and get a new one. If someone wanted to gamble a few bucks on a can of 134 to nurse another month or so out of it, why not. It won't take up any more space in the land fill.

compressor shaft. A small unit that is powered by electricity is easier to make a sealed unit.
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:40:32 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The new AC should be due for a checkup and possible spritz now though.
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, boaby wrote: Job protection. How difficult can it be?
On 5/4/2016 9:44 AM, boaby wrote:

About the same as in 2007 when this was first posted. Have the tools yet?
Most window and portable type units do not have service ports in them. A licensed HVAC man can install ports so that gauges can be used. Without gauges and knowledge there is virtually nothing for DIY's to try beyond cleaning the coils.
The very fact you asked what you did says you do not have the gauges or the knowledge.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

You use a piercing valve on the process stub, or the suction line. I've recharged AC for myself, and for friends. It's not dificult if you have the EPA certificate, and some specialized tools and training.
--

Christopher A. Young
(Using backup computer. In a couple
Marc wrote:

If incorrectly work on the unit you could do more damage and if money is a issue then you might want to contact a local vocational school and see if you could drop off the unit so the students can check it out.
That way they get some experience and you can save some money.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:58:29 -0500, Marc wrote:

Not serviceable by consumers.
i recomend you get an ac book at the library and study hvac before you work on it. ac systems are very simple but you need to have knowledge how they work , and service procedures. lucas
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Not to mention the equipment which virtually no homeowner has...
Not to mention the equipment which virtually no homeowner has... -------------------------------- when my cousin retired from doing ac work, i found the ac companies allways wanted to replace the units rather than fix them, so i bought my own ac equipment and do it myself , the equipment isnt very expensive at all. lucas