How did the burglars enter?

Page 2 of 4

<stuff snipped>

Agreed. While catching them might seem a nice idea, the primary goal is to prevent loss. A confrontation with a panicked burglar could end up very messy - for both home owner and burglar. People have had to move after shooting someone in their house because the smell of blood lingers like nobody's business. It's a little like cat urine in that it's a disturbing smell that never quite goes away, especially when it's humid.
Yet to claim self-defense, it used to be they had to be inside the house. (-: That's why I bought a Taser.

your
Lots of people don't feel comfortable with alarms that have interior video or audio. Do you know what jurisdictions require voice/video verification. I know that when I called and said "I've got a suspicious character in front of my house that came from the backyard" I had the cops there in less than a minute. A lot of their response time is dependent on whatever else is going on, police-wise, but you're right. Automatic calls get low priority. "I see him!" calls get a much higher one.
-- Bobby G.

New Jersey coddles criminals so much that it's illegal to buy a stun gun here.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Robert Green wrote:

No I don't but I will cross post this to ASA where hopefully someone will know.
Does anyone have a list of burg. A/V verification jurisdictions?
--
I like to hold the microphone cord like this, I pinch it
together, then I let it go, then you hear a whole bunch of jokes
Rebel1 wrote:

Yea, I watched your video.
Interesting how they searched that one couch (threw the cushions on the floor). No doubt they were looking for guns.
And they spent the most time in the bedroom (master bedroom). That is typical.
I'd check to see if they got any keys (car keys, house keys, etc).
Most likely they/he went right for the bedroom first. Note how the matress was pushed away from the foundation - again looking for valuables - or a gun.
I was surprised they spent some time in the kitchen - going through the pantry closet. I wonder what they thought they'd find in there... ?
Can you tell if anything in the fridge was moved around?
It looks like they spent a lot of time opening small boxes - especially in rooms outside the bedroom. Did some of those contain photographic slides?
The window mechanism got bent because the window was pushed open from the inside without cranking it open. He was in a hurry - maybe he heard a noise like you were coming home and he thought he had to make a quick exit.
I'd like to know how thoroughly he searched any bathrooms (looking for perscription drugs). That would tell you how much time he had - or if he made a hasty exit out the window.
On 4/5/2012 9:08 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Excellent possibility. When my gun permit comes through in three months, they might get lucky and find a gun if I'm not home. If I am home, well it will be bad news for them.

None taken.

Or for money that people don't bother putting in a bank account because of low interest rates.

I had a large amount of cash in one drawer and a check made to me for $1300. Both were taken.

Nothing.
There was one box of 35mm slides on the floor.

Odd thing is that the crank handle that operates the casement window was off the opening mechanism. It was only held in place by friction, not a set screw, but it took a fair amount of force to remove it. It was lying on the floor of the bay window.
Here's what the mechanism looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/7050544925/in/photostream
(I've partially straightened the bend parts using a vise.)

No pill bottles in either bathroom. A few bottles for cheap antibiotics in the hall closet. Definitely no pain killers.
Rebel1 wrote:

Three months to transfer a firearm into your possession? Are you buying a class 3 weapon or something?
If not, where in the US does it take 3 months to get a 'permit'? (in quotes because the 2nd gives you the right without permission).
Seriously, are you not allowed to purchase a gun and bring it home the same day?
--
Why is Cloud 9 so amazing? What is wrong with Cloud 8? That joke
came off the top of my head, and the top of my head ain't funny! -Mitch Hedberg
If not, where in the US does it take 3 months to get a 'permit'? (in quotes because the 2nd gives you the right without permission).
Seriously, are you not allowed to purchase a gun and bring it home the same day?
--
Why is Cloud 9 so amazing? What is wrong with Cloud 8? That joke
came off the top of my head, and the top of my head ain't funny! -Mitch
Stormin Mormon wrote:

NYC you mean?

Good way of putting it. :-)
--
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them
where they're goin', and hook up with them later. -Mitch Hedberg
Robert Green wrote:

Every "right" a person possesses imposes a "duty" of some kind on someone else. If this subsequent "duty" impinges on that person's "right," you get the classic "conflict of laws."
Further, every "right" has its limitation. Your "right" to swing your fist ends at my chin, and so forth. For instance, does the "right to keep and bear arms" include felons? The mentally unstable? Juveniles?
This juggling test is not easy and often has to be worked out on a case-by-case basis. In addition, when a solution to a particular case is proposed, legal scholars try hard to compute how their solution might affect future situations.
It ain't easy and it's certainly not always black-and-white.
Robert Green wrote:

I like it that you can think.

(-;
I like it that you can debate like a grown up. So many here will likely always be consigned to the kiddie table, never to eat with the adults. Yes, every once in a while, like the Roman Seneca said, "Mad dogs we knock on the head." But by and large, most people here can keep their cool. FWIW, you arguing with SM is like Michael Corleone whippin' on Fredo. It's not a fair fight. (-:
The pendulum theory is why I don't get as worked up about things as some. I know we're never going to have a blue total welfare state or a total red free-market state. We'll just swing slowly back and forth mostly keeping to the middle of the channel. Societal inertia is a remarkable thing. I even view the CHL/SYG thing as a swing away from the liberal "ban all guns and all crime will end." I've seen that myth in action. Lots of dead people in DC shot with guns no one was supposed to have.
I'll have to buy a new gun soon. Retrofitting the Browning HP with laser sights will cost $300. My other guns have nowhere at all to mount one. The HP kit comes with substitute grips with a laser attached. I'd rather have the laser right under the barrel. But for $300 I can get a nice, used pistol with a laser sight built in. I just saw one on line from the store I got my Zap Canes from - the perfect solution to stray dogs coming up to you. One pop on the nose and off they go. I guess with all the nerves in their snouts, a 300kV shock really, REALLY stings. You can never have too many guns in too many calibers or too many stun guns or tasers. I'll bet GZ would have been just as happy to shock the crap out of TM. I watch "Cops" primarily to watch them tase miscreants. Especially the big ones.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

My motivation in posting is, mainly, to educate. For example, one poster on another group asked what he thought to be a rhetorical question: "Why are hundreds of black youths gunned down by police every year and nobody goes to jail?"
I replied: "Duh! Because you don't put dead people in prison."
It was a teaching moment.
G. Morgan wrote:

He's in Spring Valley, New York.
First, in New York, you've got to have a pistol license (issued by the county and some cities). THEN you can register your handgun. The dealer from whom you purchased it must submit a fired cartridge to the state. However, there is good news. By statute, the permit and/or registration of the weapon MUST be acted upon by the applicable agency within six months (the deadline can be extended for good cause). If the permitting agency does not act within that time frame, they leave themselves open to being taunted a second time.
In my state, and others, we don't register any kind of gun nor the people who own them. To purchase a gun in my state, you put your money on the counter, fill out one form that the dealer keeps, wait a few minutes for him to call NICS, and take your gun home (or to the confrontation).
If you have a concealed handgun license, the dealer skips the 'phone call to the FBI.

What state do you live in?

Texas, IIRC, but Georgia is the same.
Rebel1 wrote:

Texas, although other states operate in exactly the same manner.
I don't think, however, other states require the applicants to show their guns to get a marriage license...

They don't have to disclose their assets?
HeyBub wrote:
<snippage about NY>
New York is F'ed up!!

We live in the same state, if you have a CHL *that* is the back-door pistol registration. They know you have at least one (all 506,000 of us)!
--
I wish my name was Brian because maybe sometimes people would
misspell my name and call me Brain. That's like a free
G. Morgan wrote:

No they don't. Not for positive sure.
There are several situations where one might have a CHL and no firearm: * He hasn't gotten around to buying one. * He sold it (them), * He got the CHL to: a) Prove to traffic-stop cops he's a righteous dude, or b) Impress various factotums in a foreign land (Chicago, NY City, etc.), that he's politically well-connected. * Because it's there.
On 4/6/2012 4:18 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

You forget that I'm in New Jersey. Yes, it takes three months to issue an ID and a permit to buy a firearm of any kind. And you have to be fingerprinted.
We also can't buy stun guns. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
We can't buy pepper spray by mail. Other restrictions: http://www.peacemakerpepperspray.com/page/894784
NJ really loves criminals and having us depend on cops.