How'd you do this?

Yesterday, I had a backhoe in to complete the ripping out of caliche. A front end loader with a box ripper wasn't getting it. So, now, we're down about a foot from the top of the adjacent slab. This is an eight foot wide sixty foot run.

I want to put pavers to continue out level with the flatwork next to the house. This area is a catch basin during heavy rains. My intent is to fill up starting with about 4" with gravel, put landscape cloth, then the brick sand to grade, roll it flat, then a layer of pavers.

What size of gravel would you use? And what is the name of the dark sand that is used as base for pavers?

I have a 10' x 2' x 18" deep trench at the low end of this to carry the water out of the yard, and over a nearby cliff. I would use a perforated pipe in that, set in gravel, and covered with landscape cloth except for the top 6" or so.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

caliche - what's that?

Reply to
TD

Reed

You know; caliche!!!

Build a pool in the desert and it may add 20K to the bill, for caliche removal.

Not work for the sick, lame or lazy.

-- Oren

Oren