How control landscape lights for day/night ?

I have a low voltage landscape lighting system, powered by a transformer that doesn't have day/light options. I would like to buy a unit that senses daylight/darkness, and would provide 120 volts ac at a socket. I would then plug my transformer into that socket, so that my lights would only burn in darkness.

I don't know exactly where I would buy such a thing, or what I would call it. I know of course that it is a photo-electric cell, but I have asked for that at some of the major stores.

Can someone help me here ??

Thanks !!!

--James--

Reply to
James

How about the photocell units that are designed to turn on outside lights in the evening? Standard electrical item, I believe. Try a good electrical distributor. Maybe even Home Depot or Lowes.

Reply to
professorpaul

I think it was "James" who stated:

Smarthome will have it:

-- Everyone has a photographic memory; but some don't have film

Reply to
Don Fearn

Lowes has the photocell you need for $8.95. YMMV

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for the nice and helpful replies !!

--James--

Reply to
James

I put the ones at my old home on a timer PLUS a photocell, and have the pole light here wired up the same.

Anytime its dark from 6AM till midnite the lights come on automatically. This saves some energy wasted by all nite unnecessary operations.

Wife leaves for work early light ON, we come home late light ON

Reply to
hallerb

Many PIR sensors have a timer or photocell that would do what you want and come on when someone triggers the sensor. That could be you opening a door at night - eg they come on automatically. Most allow a switch to override and turn them on manually.

Reply to
CWatters

My experience with motion detectors very poor:(

Caused AC noise wiping out cvertain radio stations, very variablke sensitivity depending on ambient temperature, sometimes car going down street would trip sensor in cold weather, at other times you could walk briskly by sensor and not trip it.

I prefer CK lights for l;ow energy use with timer and light sensors.

Reply to
hallerb

I am not looking for motion sensors. I am looking for a photoelectric cell-switch, that will deliver 110 volts to an outlet. I would plug my 12v transformer into that outlet.

I did search the websites of Smart Home, Home Depot, and Lowe's, and I still do not find what I want. I don't think they are as easily available as some folks think.

If you know where I could purchase one, please let me know.

Thanks !!

--James--

Reply to
James

Ok, here's what I am using. I have a Smarthome 1132CU which programs, among many other things, outdoor low voltage lighting. An appliance module turns on the 110 to the low voltage transformer. The 1132CU, by itself, will do "calculated" dusk and dawn for a particular area in the country. If you need actual light activations, and I do that also, use one of the Smarthome X10 motion/light/floodlight units which will send an X10 signal when it changes from dark to light or light to dark. Mine doesn't even have lamps in it. The

1132CU can be programmed to turn > I am not looking for motion sensors. I am looking for a photoelectric
Reply to
Art Todesco

Tried ebay? Search for photosensor..

Not sure if this is a plug in unit but it looks like it does what you want...

or the same link made shorter..

CWatters

Is this what you're looking for?

Grandpa

Thanks to Grandpa and Cwatter, these are exactly what I have been looking for !!!

Thanks again !!

--James--

Reply to
James

have to do some wiring but it is easy to do.

Reply to
Mike