how contractors really size aircon

I like the "front door rule" :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

One of the most telling bits of info is the "reasons for oversizing". The most common reason is because the customer requested it. That suggests to me that in the real world the Manual J and other "correct" ways of sizing are too often giving undersized results and the customers have learned from past experience that they need a bigger unit then the "experts" tell them they need. Almost every place I've lived in has had undersized cooling.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

This is done strictly out of ignorance.

This is only because the customer is trying to get the system to do things that its not designed for

Probably not.....a correctly sized system is designed to *MAINTAIN* the average comfort levels at the design conditions....not bring the temp in a

100 degree home down to 70 degrees in 30 minutes. Its not gonna happen.
Reply to
Noon-Air

You then are obviously clueless. Manual J works this way: "Correct iinfo put in.......Correct info put out" "Garbage in................Garbage out" That is plain and simple. It seems however that you have just been too cheap to either hire a competent home inspector or a competent hvac company when you bought all your homes. Perhaps if you had done it the correct way you would have then had the proper info to negotiate the purchase of all those homes so you could live in a comfortable home. Next time, try and Expert, not an "expert". Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

A manual J would provide the correct size unit, however, the reason the correct sized unit does not cool to design is because of multiplicity of other factors, that need correcting!

Click on the Anchor link: "Specifications VS Reality," = 95% failures of an AC's Major Performance factors: Ductwork - Airflow - Proper Charge, Installation, etc. - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Hmmm, Are you trying to show your fine ignorance? Deal with competent techs from reputable outfits. And educate yourself as well. Quality of work is doing it first time right. Cheap techs, cheap customers will never get quality. You can interchange words cheap and ignorance. As a plain consumer, at least I know this much.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's the customer's choice to make. Who are you to say what he should be able to call upon it to do? He's the one paying.

If that's what the customer wants, and he's willing to pay for it, and it's not illegal, then who made YOU king?

Reply to
CJT

CJT if you had a clue, you would know it's not expected from a system that's correctly sized.

Reply to
<kjpro

I have had CJT in my killfile for a long time.....He doesn&#39;t *want" to understand about manufacture design limitations, or proper sizing. He doesn&#39;t care about getting it done right, All he cares about is how cheap can he get it done.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Dont worry. We all know the turd is clueless. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Expected by you, you mean, using a particular definition of "correct."

Reply to
CJT

Actually, that&#39;s incorrect. But I&#39;ve found by bitter experience that you do not always get what you pay for where HVAC "professionals" are involved.

Reply to
CJT

I thought CJT was a bitch from the way she er.. he whines.

Oh well. Hes just another asshole as far as I can tell. One of thousands.

Reply to
ftwhd

You guys probably think your customers can&#39;t detect the disdain you have for them. You&#39;re wrong.

Reply to
CJT

I think you have it backwards.

No, your wrong. What we have disdain for is internet assholes who have a bone to pick for whatever reason with hvac guys.

I realize that there are some real clueless dick heads posing as pros. But I think for the most part the regs here do the best they can most of the time and know what is right and what is wrong. Youre picking the wrong bone.

There is one exception and that is the mormon con man Stormy Mormie. Stormy and his kind are the ones that give rise to the internet hvac horror stories you hear. Obviously you have had a negative experience involving one of these hacks. Consider re-channeling your energy grasshopper.

And BTW my customers dont disdain me. They request me. Maybe its part of that backwards havc logic. They request me so they can hate me. :-/

Reply to
ftwhd

I guess you havent figured out the disdain we have for you then. Too bad. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

"CJT" wrote

I needed a hvac unit for a 1,000 sf addition. We recently did a smaller one at a smaller redo for $6 per sf. I got a bid of $6100. Thought that was high. So, I go another and it was $7500. Went to a friend who recommended a friend who owns a local hvac place. They&#39;re going to do it to the $7500 bid specs, using the same model unit, and for $4100.

Yes, most hvac men are idiots and crooks. And yes, anyone who has a room temperature IQ can get around them, get a job done, and get it for a fair price. But why is it that hvac attracts so many flies? I&#39;d rather deal with the septic pumper guy. At least they don&#39;t put on airs about who they are or what they do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Bubba" wrote

And you haven&#39;t figured out how much we laugh at you when we repeatedly use a good hvac guy and know one of you hacks isn&#39;t going to get any of our money.

bwahahahahah

Reply to
SteveB

You wouldnt know a good hvac guy or job if it crawled up you ass like a tape worm and bit your small intestine off. Have fun with your half price hack job your getting from a friend of a friend of a friend. Make sure you pay him in beer first. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

recommended

The friend likely has no liability insurance, parts stock, warranty service, etc, etc... Make sure you put that extra money aside, you&#39;ll be using it and more to fix the f*ck-ups in a couple years. If it lasts that long.

Reply to
<kjpro