I like the "front door rule" :-)
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/FSEC-PF-289-95/index.htm
Nick
On 5 Oct 2007 13:00:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

One of the most telling bits of info is the "reasons for oversizing". The most common reason is because the customer requested it. That suggests to me that in the real world the Manual J and other "correct" ways of sizing are too often giving undersized results and the customers have learned from past experience that they need a bigger unit then the "experts" tell them they need. Almost every place I've lived in has had undersized cooling.

This is done strictly out of ignorance.

This is only because the customer is trying to get the system to do things that its not designed for

Probably not.....a correctly sized system is designed to *MAINTAIN* the average comfort levels at the design conditions....not bring the temp in a 100 degree home down to 70 degrees in 30 minutes. Its not gonna happen.
Noon-Air wrote:

That's the customer's choice to make. Who are you to say what he should be able to call upon it to do? He's the one paying.

If that's what the customer wants, and he's willing to pay for it, and it's not illegal, then who made YOU king?

things
CJT if you had a clue, you would know it's not expected from a system that's correctly sized.

I have had CJT in my killfile for a long time.....He doesn't *want" to understand about manufacture design limitations, or proper sizing. He doesn't care about getting it done right, All he cares about is how cheap can he get it done.
Noon-Air wrote:

Actually, that's incorrect. But I've found by bitter experience that you do not always get what you pay for where HVAC "professionals" are involved.

I thought CJT was a bitch from the way she er.. he whines.
Oh well. Hes just another asshole as far as I can tell. One of thousands.
ftwhd wrote:

You guys probably think your customers can't detect the disdain you have for them. You're wrong.

I think you have it backwards.

No, your wrong. What we have disdain for is internet assholes who have a bone to pick for whatever reason with hvac guys.
I realize that there are some real clueless dick heads posing as pros. But I think for the most part the regs here do the best they can most of the time and know what is right and what is wrong. Youre picking the wrong bone.
There is one exception and that is the mormon con man Stormy Mormie. Stormy and his kind are the ones that give rise to the internet hvac horror stories you hear. Obviously you have had a negative experience involving one of these hacks. Consider re-channeling your energy grasshopper.
And BTW my customers dont disdain me. They request me. Maybe its part of that backwards havc logic. They request me so they can hate me. :-/
ftwhd wrote:

You only need to read the post to which I responded to see the disdain.
So you're the one who is wrong.

tm
oversizing".
"correct"
bigger
should
the
temp
happen.
and
cheap
Unlikely

I guess you havent figured out the disdain we have for you then. Too bad. Bubba

And you haven't figured out how much we laugh at you when we repeatedly use a good hvac guy and know one of you hacks isn't going to get any of our money.
bwahahahahah
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:39:09 -0700, "SteveB"

You wouldnt know a good hvac guy or job if it crawled up you ass like a tape worm and bit your small intestine off. Have fun with your half price hack job your getting from a friend of a friend of a friend. Make sure you pay him in beer first. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

YOU certainly wouldn't. So what's your point?

wrote

That's rich coming from a guy named Bubba. I'm not a racist, nor a profiler, nor a person who judges others quickly.
But if you ever showed up for a bid with a shirt that said "BUBBA" on it, I'd politely waste about two hours of your life and laugh my ass off as you drove away.
Steve
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:22:09 -0700, "SteveB"

You and CJT make a good couple. Two totally clueless assholes with absolutely no originality to speak of what so ever. Id plonk both of you idiots but then it wouldnt even leave the slimmest chance that either of you has a glimmer of hope. Lemme go get the leash........ Bubba

Sorry sport, your talking to engineering majors, and master tradsmen, not liberal arts majors. Sucks to be a liberal arts major when an advanced degree only means that you don't have to wear the paper hat anymore when you ask "Do you want fries with that??"
Now... please quit cross posting your drivel
Thanx.
BTW... welcome to my killfile
*click*
Noon-Air wrote:

There's nothing about having an engineering degree that forces you to misuse the English language. In fact, many of the best engineers are also excellent writers. People who ignore details of language probably also ignore details of calculation.