How can we tell from a WiFi card spec whether the NIC is 2.4GHz or 5GHz, or both?

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 14:51:42 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

So, if 'n' can run on either, when a spec only says 'b/g/n', how do you know whether the 'n' is 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
tony944 wrote:

On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 10:29:10 -0700, tony944 wrote:

Basically, the WiFi cards for the Costco & HP web pages, do NOT list the frequency. I won't recommend a laptop that does not have *both* 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
I just want to know how I can be sure of that, when they don't bother to list the frequencies in the WiFi specs!
Here is the HP spec for that laptop: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-pavilion-15z-laptop-m7d88av-1
I can't tell which WiFi card has *both* 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
Ewald Böhm wrote:

This one is dual band(2.4GHz, 5GHz) This is AMD cpu based laptop. A10 is the top end one. Video card... Rxxxx. xxxx at higher number is better one. Any more questions? Don't forget to read reviews on this model to see whether buyers are happy or not.
On 09/07/2015 02:15 AM, Ewald Böhm wrote:

FWIW, this Lenovo ThinkPad W550s has two cards listed as options:
-- Intel 7265 BGN + Bluetooth Version 4.0"
-- Intel 7265 AC/B/G/N Dual Band Wireless + Bluetooth Version 4.0" .
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w550s/#tab-tech_specs
On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 04:36:43 -0400, noname wrote:

Since this thread is really about INTERPRETING specs, is this interpretation correct?
1. Intel 7265 BGN + Bluetooth Version 4.0 Would it be safe to assume this has *only* 2.4GHz?
2. Intel 7265 AC/B/G/N Dual Band Wireless + Bluetooth Version 4.0 Is it safe to assume this has *both* 2.4GHz & 5GHz?
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 12:36:59 PM UTC-4, Ewald Böhm wrote:

No, because they are obviously the same Intel card, the same part # and Intel isn't dumb enough to have a wifi AC card that can't also connect to older networks. That card is dual band, period.
On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 09:45:19 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

After my conversation with HP today, I found out that their "ac" card has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz because it is backward compatible, but they said that backwards-compatible-ac-card is *not* a "dual band" card.
Apparently they defined "dual band" in a specific way, that excludes the fact that it has "two" bands.
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 3:06:14 PM UTC-4, Ewald Böhm wrote:

HP obviously has people that don't know WTF they are talking about. But keep calling them, if you like.