how can i tell if???????

I bought a house this past spring. It has a fireplace with gas logs. How can I tell if the are vented or vent free? I would hate to wake up dead.

Look up the chimney, do you see a damper? What no chimney!, then the set is vent free. Vent free would bother me, all combustion makes carbon dioxide and some monoxide. I would not leave it running unless I was awake. I do not even leave my vented set running when I am not vertical.
I really HATE it when I wake up dead!!

bighead wrote:

Can't happen. If you wake up you're not dead.
Assuming that there is no flue above the fireplace you should be able to see a vent on an exterior side wall if it's vented. Also, if it's vented the fire will most likely change (become more active) if a nearby door or window is opened.

I guess I explained it wrong. It is a normal woodburning masonry fireplace, with a damper. It has had gas logs installed. I'm trying to figure out if I can run them with the damper closed.
And your wrong about waking up dead. Lots of people do. I see them everywhere;)
bighead wrote:

It would probably be a good idea to get a carbon monoxide detector in either case. They aren't nearly as expensive as a funeral.
Bill Gill
Vent free are required to have a set of metal plates attached to the burner. Has the manufacturer, model number, and a statement that they are vent free. If you would like to email me a picture, I can tell you also.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com /