How can I solder a pipe that has a bit of water in it?

I know that, but I wasn't sure if he planned to ever use this zone again. I thought maybe it was out of use, but still leaking.

Okey dokey

Never tried that. I somewhat doubt it but I'm not sure, especially if the stuff was wrapped around the whole circumference of the pipe.

I don't think this would be a problem. I once used PC-70 to patch a leaking pan, and then, atypcially, I left the pan on the stove and boiled out all the water, and left it on the stove even after that for a while. After it cooled of, it still didn't leak, even on the stove.

Reply to
mm

It says that even for room temp and no pressure I bet. That's one of the times PC-70 is good.

Reply to
mm

I recently came across this website:

They make what appears to be an epoxy-type bonder for joining copper pipe. It's about $13 from Amazon.com. I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it, but you can read a review of it at

geohurley

What would make flare fittings a better choice than compression in this application?

Reply to
Doug Miller

New style, Bob. Also new to the big box stores, new to residential construction (aimed at DIYer), new packaging and new to you if you've never seen them before. ;)

RicodJour

You might be interest in a product, that I came across just a few days from the Family Handyman magazine May 2001 issue (pg 95). The Topic "Plumbling Pipe Pluggers." They are available in:

..

Reply to
John JJ

if there is a water flow than you have to try to close the flow... if it is closed but water still flows slowly... you can stuff the pipe with sandwich bread a couple of slices... this will absorb the water giving you time to do your soldering.

Reply to
classicrock86

Just stuff some white bread into the wet pipe, as far as possible. It will dissolve and discharge through the faucet when the water is restored.

Reply to
Walter R.

I finally located a pair of 3/4" compression joints ($10 each!). But these require cutting the pipe stubs in the channel in the slab. So I decided to try the old bread trick with the existing stubs properly prepared and use a pair of standard sweat repair fittings. If it failed, I would have to do the cutting to use my compression fittings.

Luck was with me! The bread trick worked. Thanks to all that offered advice.

Reply to
Stubby

Missed the part about that being in a hot-water heating system, didja?

No faucet.

No way to get the bread out.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If it gets stuck in your closed boiler system, you're toast.

Reply to
clifto

clifto wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@remote.clifto.com:

Soggy toast?