How can I send a chainsaw from USA to UK?

Page 1 of 2
Hello all,
My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.
Thanks all,
Dean

www.ups.com
dean wrote:

I think any carrier would do for a chainsaw, but your brother should check if there is any import tax to pay. Also there are some items that simply cannot be imported. I believe every USPS office has a book with all the details for each foreign nation. Some restrictions are really weird and unexplicable. Good luck

Fuck that. Pack it up, label it books and send it off.
Mark Sherman wrote:

but first drop Mark comment in the box...
Put a hockey face mask in the package and address it to Jason.
: Hello all, : : My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden : machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price : here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is : a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is : there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine. : : Thanks all, : : Dean :

Open it up, and make sure it is completely drained of gas and lube. If you have a place in the sun, bake it for an afternoon. Label it "machine parts", but don't try to cheat on the duty.
Robert Morein wrote:

It isn't cheating if it really is a gift.
Gift doesn't matter. Fair market value.
: > : >>Hello all, : >> : >>My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden : >>machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price : >>here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is : >>a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is : >>there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine. : >> : >>Thanks all, : >> : >>Dean : >> : > : > Open it up, and make sure it is completely drained of gas and lube. : > If you have a place in the sun, bake it for an afternoon. : > Label it "machine parts", but don't try to cheat on the duty. : > : > : It isn't cheating if it really is a gift. : : A

is
Sounds like Ariz. a few years back during a major fire. UPS shipped chainsaws where flying in from relatives all over US. When the fire started threatening towns that had brush cutting restrictions.....
-
Brush cutting restrictions in AZ? Sounds like idiocy to me.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
You can effectively remove all the gasoline, but it will always smell like gasoline, it gets absorbed into the rubber seals and the plastics. I called Fedex and they want a $90 surcharge for hazardous shipment. UPS wasn't sure but said it would be ok, but I need to call them on Monday.
Thanks all for the ideas.
Dean

Wrap that sucker in double or triple plastic bags so it will not set off any sniffing sensors.
My Stihl dealer says its a $10,000 fine for shipping a gasoline engine illegally. So I want them to be absolutely sure what it is up front, so I will tell them what it is.
A personal thanks to Mr Pawlowski! You have answered many many of my (sometimes irritating) questions, and its very much appreciated!
Dean
Take the gas tank off altogether and ship separately. RC airplane engines are shipped all the time without problems.

Dont forget this is international, and almost certainly going by air and will be inspected.
Air des not mean it will be inspected any more than pizza is.
It will be exrayed for bombs and weapons. The security people do not care if you drive a big a chainsaw.

Can't do - the gas tank is the body of the saw in the majority of cases.
The real problem is the drug dogs cannot smell past it.