How can I seal caulking cartridges?

Page 2 of 2

Put a dab of vaseline in the open tip.
Charlie

A wire nut will screw right on the end and comes off easily. The dab of vaseline before applying the wire nut sounds good.
Harry K

Hello,
Dip the tip in some Plastic-Dip or the equivalent and let it dry. It makes an air-tight seal. I've used it only on acrylic caulks to date. Peel off the coating from the tip and the caulk will come out like it was a new tube.
Good Luck.
Baron wrote:

Did you mean "Plasti Dip"
"Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose air dry, synthetic rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying, brushing or dipping. Plasti Dip resists moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. It remains flexible, stretchy and will not become brittle or crack in extreme weather conditions; -30F to 200F. Plasti Dip can be applied to anything that paint is applied to and more."
Sounds good, but, what is a "plastic dip"?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I used to use electrical nuts, but now I use a fresh square of duct tape. No more dried cartridges.
on 11/21/2008 6:10 PM Walter R. said the following:

The biggest problem with those tapered nozzles is that the product solidifies in the tapered nozzle and the 'plug' cannot be pulled out through the smaller hole in the end. If lucky, you wind up pushing the plug, or pieces of it, into the cylinder where it could interfere with the flow of the contents. I don't remember what brand I purchased one time, but the whole nozzle unscrewed off the tube, so that the entire plug could be pushed out through the larger end. I have had good results with wood or plastic plugs rather than metal plugs. Golf tees, pieces of doweling, plastic pen caps. The best way to seal the nozzles is to pump a small amount out of the nozzle, release the trigger pressure, plug the hole, then remove the cylinder from the gun. That way, less air will be captured in the nozzle and tube.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

fought this problem for years. Finally found a fix in a home repair magazine. Give it 9 out of 10 stars....
take a small pill bottle and fill with vasoline. When done with the calking tube simply cram the open nozzle into the vasoline filled bottle. Done - ( the bottle stay with the tube) Cramning the tube into the vasoline forces enough of the vasoline into the tube and makes an air tight seal!
Next time you go to use the tube, the first 1/2 inch or so out will be vasoline.....
paul

You'd think they'd have a caulk for that :-)
Red Green wrote:

Just store them in a nitrogen dry box along with you other urethane adhesives and cyanoacrylates, etc. I got tired of finding hardened glues every time I needed to use them and solved the problem.
Boden
Boden wrote:

Hey, I have N2 in a couple of Q size cylinders. I also have some ammo boxes. Humm, I can install a Schrader valve equipped 1/4" refrigeration type fitting on the box and presto, a sealed container that can be N2 filled.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Almost. The object isn't to pressurize the container, rather to purge it of moisture and O2. Add a second port and valve so that you can purge the box and you're good to go. Mine isn't tight, it leaks a bit By design for a continuous purge. Add to this an O2 monitor for the shop air and you're also safe.
Boden wrote:

Duh! An ammo box isn't exactly hermetically sealed. It has a good seal but all I would have to do is to leave the lid a bit loose whilst filling with N2 and blowing the air past the rubber gasket. I also have CO2 cylinders but I think the CO2 is more likely to have moisture in it than the dry Nitrogen. The supplier does test the CO2 cylinders with pressurized water. The 20lb CO2 cylinders are great for inflating tires, blowing out condensers, clogged pipes and running air tools. Pressurized CO2 is a lot of fun to play with.
TDD
clipped

My hubby is the founder of Gadget Freaks of America; sounds like you qualify for membership :o) How much caulk do you guys have to store? Do you leave room for wife's lipstick and nail polish supply? ;o)
Norminn wrote:

Unfortunately I can't find a grown woman I can stand for more than ten minuets at a time or is it the other way around. It could be the drooling and the crazy eyes.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Just ask her for help cleaning and organizing your workshop.....it makes my hubby CRAZY!!!!!
We have a sacred shelf in the media cabinet reserved, in perpetuity, for the Commodore 64 computer - I think that means it has 64k of memory :o) Got a printed manual for every version of Windows, too. The contents of the gun cabinet have never been seen by any other human being. :o)
Norminn wrote:

One of the problems I have with women is, they touch my stuff. DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!! Don't clean it up, don't rearrange it, don't throw anything away! That seemingly empty box had the instructions and spare parts in it! DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!!
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

When he cooks and does dishes, he always puts away stuff in a different place........his prized brass hose nozzle is on the shelf in the front hallway. "Where did you put my ____?" "Where did you LEAVE your freaking ____?" :o)