How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel)

They were also pretty handy for the market that paid ~ $120/each for them...

Reply to
George

That's why I bought an old farm tractor with a bucket loader. Now I can pick stuff up. Good for moving snow around too. Much cheaper than a tiny new Kubota with a loader. $12,000 vs $2,000.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Well, you do have a certain point, but I wasn't suggesting that the OP go out and steal a shopping cart that's in good condition and chop it up.

Despite the fact that some newer shopping carts have automatic immobilization devices that prevent the cart from being taken off the store's parking lot, and the fact that some stores pay rewards to people who go out and collect stray carts, some carts will eventually wind up a long way from the store, as homeless people use them to carry all their possessions.

Carts will wind up in rivers and flood control channels and parking structures, and some of these carts could be put to good use by impecunious riders who want a free engine cart.

The supermarket would not want a shabby looking cart in their store anyway.

And, the store's insurance company has already *paid* for the loss of the missing cart.

And, if you visit the same store 12,000 times over a 33 year period, your grocery purchases have probably amortized the cost of the cart...

Reply to
Gael

The agricultural equipment dealer down the street sells Kubota tractors that have four six-foot diameter wheels with narrow tires. I can't figure out what they're good for, since regular tractors have two narrow spaced smaller diameter wheels up front so they will follow the furrow while plowing...

Reply to
Gael

Yes there are many ways to rationalize theft. Those are just a few common ones.

Reply to
salty

Narrow front ends are optional, most are wide front ends either powered or unpowered.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

It's not theft, it's handling of stolen goods...

Reply to
Jules

Just add that to the list of rationalizations for theft.

Reply to
salty

Ah milk crates .......................... yes. The newer ones, in now (supposedly) metric Canada, hold nine 2 litre milk cartons. Each will, typically, accommodate 20+ average dinner plates, up to 52 saucers, 24 cups etc. etc. And any variety of tools, spare parts , junk etc. etc. The older ones, designed for half gallons?, were much in demand at one time for storing 12 inch phonograph records! And also for standing on, or wangling something up/or down from the bed of a pickup. Motor cycle too heavy I would say.

Reply to
terry

Storm> Perhaps he used his motor cycle to get parts for the car?

He didn't have a car, so that is unlikely.

Reply to
Bob F

I agree...Nothing worse than a thief....

Reply to
benick

Yes there is!

I remember Rush Limbaugh commenting on Los Angeles stores who were recovering their carts from homeless people. These street denizens were using the carts to tote all their meager worldly goods.

The stores' representatives would approach the destitutes, dump their stuff on the street, and retrieve the carts.

You can't get worse than evicting a homeless person!

Reply to
HeyBub

How is retreaving stolen property from drunks , druggies and crazies evicting them ?? They could have been hardasses and had them arrested for recieving stolen property but they didn't...Mighty nice of them if you ask me...Besides... They still have their cardboard box to live in...Crazy check (SSI) and foodstamps in the PO box every month..Shelters to hang out in when the weather is bad...Meth Clinics for their drugs...And all the money they can beg or panhandle for...Toss in a bottle of wine and they are all set...But you're probably right...I'm sure there will be a program to give them shopping carts coming soon...Either that or the Obamalord will take over the supermarkets and mandate they be given carts for free...Well not free..NOTHING is free...We will pay for them one way or the other through taxes or increased food prices...But you get what I mean...

Reply to
benick

Lots of people - not including mentally ill - live purely parasitic lifestyles. Shelters aren't usually open to those who are actively drinking or using drugs. I would not give them a dime or defend their use of stolen property. They don't deserve charity, IMO, if it is so that they can stay drunk. If they want to freeze, let 'em. My city has a feeding program for homeless where they can receive free lunches delivered by volunteers. They moved the site closer to city hall so that there were plenty of trash cans and the litter didn't get left on the ground.

Reply to
norminn

I once moved a BMW K1200 with just my wife's help.

Had to rent a "drop trailer" which has a 2 thousand pound limit and a truck for the 2" ball.

Maybe U-Haul has one of these?

Reply to
Plumber Bob

Kubotas are, or can be, all wheel drive. Actually, a lot of farm tractors are like that anymore. If the four large tires are on the back, it's for traction and flotation. The tire spacing is adjusted according to the owner's row spacing. It's pretty common to see six pulling tires on tractors now. Two in front and four in the rear. Plowing is pretty much the thing or the past. Most farmers are using some sort of minimum tillage. It saves money and is better for the soil. The organic matter stays on top the ground so it can limit wind and water erosion. I'm not too sure anyone is making a tricycle type front end for tractors now. They are more likely to tip over than the wide front ends.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Buy a junk front wheel and tire that will fit the front fork you have, or is that missing too? Is the bike worth moving? Unless it is a collector bike, basket cases usually go cheap around here. May be better off to sell it and start over once you relocate.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I have never stolen a milk crate. I have, however, salvaged maybe a dozen from the dumpsters in the apartments where I used to live. Non-local dairy names on them, so no practical way to return them. Where does that fit on the ethics and legality scale?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:CpCdnQL_6oxnT9bWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Possibly can derive something from:

Red Green

where would the fun in that be...I'm sure that super genius gael the fail will have a perfectly wrong and overly failure ridden answer. Me I've never had a problem moveing any motorcycle I've owned. Whether it's was not running/missing parts or running just fine. I ought to have handicap placard...who needs that unless they are a quardarplegic? sheesh...the op needs to man up and figure it out.

Reply to
S'mee