How can I make ozone?

Hi All,

Some of my family member are sensitive to chlorine and are frightened of copper sulfate.

I need to kill algae (green, stinky, slimy) this summer in my swamp cooler. Is there a powder of ozone I can drop in it?

I know the water treatment people use both ozone and chlorine. I wonder where they are getting their ozone from?

Many thanks,

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

You murderer. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. What did those algaes ever do to you? But if you really got to kill them, just use a rifle, shotgun. hand gernade, or nuclear weapon.

Reply to
spamyourmama

Well, they smelled bad. They stuck up my house. Hey, if they'd wanted a better job, they would have stayed in school and got a degree!

:-D

-T

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

I don't live in an area where swamp coolers can work, but I seem to remember that there are products designed for what you want. Try a HVAC supply store in your area, maybe even the Home Depot type places may have it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Ozone is a gas. I don't know of a pellet or something that'll generate it.

Use a couple of spoonfulls of bleach.

Reply to
HeyBub

dont kill algea......

its the new clean green source of ethanol.

take power plant exhaust, run it thru algea tubes, exhaust now 40% cleaner:) the algea grows great in co2 exhaust, algea filtered out and fermented into ethanol.

its a closed system no water wasted.........

now food crops used for fuel either

Reply to
hallerb

Dear ToddAndMargo:

On May 11, 7:59 pm, ToddAndMargo wrote: ...

No. Ozone can only be made at the time of use, and is formed in a gas stream. You can use an aquarium pump, eductor, and flow the ozonated water into the drain pan in a couple of places. This is how it is done in cooling towers. You don't want to splash ozonated water around, and people sensitive to chlorine may be sensitive to ozone in quantity.

Either the air, or delivered oxygen. And electricity.

Stupid question, what kind of blow down schedule do you perform? I have settled on a continuous small trickle. I have also installed a strainer on the flow to the spider, to capture algae to keep from spreading algae that way. (I had to go to a more powerful pump to overcome the backpressure.)

I have no algae at all, but I do live in the desert...

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Ozone is actually quite easy to make. You just run a static discharge through air. You could blow air through a tube with two electrodes with a high voltage potential and blow outlet into water. What would be more difficult is measuring output or determining how much is needed. There are no compounds I know of to generate ozone and the pure gas can be explosive in high concentration.

Reply to
Frank

By blow down, I am presuming you mean how often do I drain my coolers. About every two weeks.

I also have a hose connected to the overflow tube. The heating and cooling of the chains at night (the chains shrink at night) will cause about two gallon to drain down the tube (on to the dry spots on my lawn).

The algae forms inside my blue filter pads, especially after a blowing dirt storm.

I have been told there is some kind of soap out there that will work, but have not been able to locate it.

The blue pads come soaped with something. Anyone know what that soap is?

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

on 5/11/2008 10:59 PM ToddAndMargo said the following:

How about a chlorine free pool water purifier such as Baquacil.

willshak

Thank you! I just eMailed them asking for their MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).

-T

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

That is not enough, but you are about to alter that amount...

Better. I get about 5 gallons per day (having never actually measured it).

down to "Suggested Maintenance"

=2E.. there are no miracle chemicals ...

=2E.. page 19 of the 22 pages here.

Most important seems to be, run the fan with the pump off every 24 hours to control algae. Probably at night, when it is cooler.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

... down to "Suggested Maintenance"

... there are no miracle chemicals ...

... page 19 of the 22 pages here.

Thank you!

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

Use an ozonator. They are sold for pools/spas, or for "health" purposes. Generally, they use a high intensity UV light, or electrical discharge to produce the ozone.

Reply to
Bob F

Agreed. This will probably work best. Ozone can be expensive to produce continously plus you have the expense of replacing the UV lamp periodically if you go that route.

Electrostatic air cleaners produce ozone in low concentrations.

Negative ion generators produce ozone.

Tesla coils produce ozone (and possible RF interference).

Electrostatic Generators (Van de Graph - Whimhurst) produce ozone.

Jacobs ladders (conductive rods connected to Neon transformers) produce ozone with their dancing sparks (as in Dr. Frankenstein's Laboratory).

Too much ozone is poisonous and not good for you. (It doesn't take much to reach this threshold.)

Reply to
Beachcomber

Try any swimming pool place. They have it in granular, or dissolved liquid. Or, maybe internet search. Find out that ozone is the triatomic form of oxygen, and it's not very stable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"HeyBub" wrote in news:zeOdnZ5OMOjXqLXVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I thought it was some new branch of the Oprah cult.

Reply to
Red Green

Ozone is O3. A diatomic molecule of Oxygen O2 is split by UV light or a high voltage discharge into two atoms of Oxygen which then combine with a diatomic molecule of O2 to form O3. The third oxygen atom is loosely bound and will separate and combine with and Oxydise molecules so killing bacteria.

Water treatment can be by UV light, Ozone or more recently Ultrasonic. The Ozone being produced by a high voltage corona discharge or ionization of the air.

Reply to
Telstra

"Telstra" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@clear.net.nz:

I can't believe you actually replied with that to a wise crack with that.

Do you really think anyone in this NG is interested in that level of info? Anyone who want's that level can Google it...like you did

Reply to
Red Green

Reply to
Telstra