How can I improve rotational speed of Hunter ceiling fan?

Greetings all!

In my living room, I have a pair of Hunter ceiling fans which I believe are in their "Summer Breeze" line (item #25517). I have had them for about 6 years, during which time they have received relatively light usage, and they have always worked fine. Recently, however, I noticed that one of the fans is noticeably slower than the other on the highest setting [I never use any setting other than the highest one].

This really bothers me to the point where I would be willing to buy a replacement pair of fans if it weren't for the fact that these fans are going to be a MAJOR hassle to take down and replace.

So I would MUCH prefer to fix the slow fan to match the speed of the faster one.

How should I go about boosting the rotational speed of the slower fan? Should I open up the housing and oil some part of the mechanism? Do I need to clean some electrical contacts somewhere?

Any advice at all that anyone can offer on how to best proceed is much appreciated!

Chuck

Reply to
Dolchas

Better off slowing the faster one. Kinda OCD, aren't you? Do you watch "Monk"? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

The bearings and windings are probably wearing out. It is most likely getting time to replace the fan unit.

Reply to
Jerry G.

-snip-

-snip-

I'd try switching the switches first & if you're lucky you'll just need to change a switch.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'm also thinking that the switch might be bad. Since you say it hasn't been used much I don't see how it could be the motor.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Are any of the other speeds also not similar between the two fans?

Many ceiling fans control speed by switching in capacitor(s) in series with the stator winding. One value for low speed, a larger capacitor for a higher speed, and sometimes both capacitors in parallel for an even higher speed. If one of the capacitors has failed it could explain why the fan still runs but not at the correct speed.

RB

Dolchas wrote:

Reply to
RB