how can i find drainage pipe under paver driveway?

We have about 12yrs old paver driveway & I know they placed several pipes under driveway at 8-12 feet distance. Unfortunately I didnt mark spot where they left pipes. now how can i find those drain pipe easiest?

Reply to
Raj

what do the pipes do?

Reply to
bob haller

Ha! An easy one, as hundreds of homeowners have proven.

Just dig a trench for another project - a lawn irrigation system, running a power line to the yard light, cable to a satellite dish, etc.

You'll hit the pipes for sure. It's one of those "laws of the universe."

Reply to
TimR

If there was a building permit, there should be drawings on file with the municipality. If a really thorough contractor (or one with a good memory) they may be able to tell you. And, if you are going to dig, call 811 to have utility lines marked....they might give you a freebie, even if they aren't utility owned.

Reply to
Norminn

You could use a metal probe but you'd have to be careful if the pipes are plastic. If the pipes are metal, you'll hear a clank when you hit one of them. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yeah, 811 does a great job. They told the electric company to put their new pole right through my sewer line. Cost them $3300 for the repairs.

Unless those pipe are metal or have tracer wires, they won't find them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

around here they marked the area to replace a pole and went right thru a 20,000 pair phone cable.....

if you have any access to either end of the pipes to put a probe up them a plumber with a line finder can mark their location.

I wonder why the OP asks about this?

Reply to
bob haller

If there was a building permit, there should be drawings on file with the municipality. If a really thorough contractor (or one with a good memory) they may be able to tell you. And, if you are going to dig, call 811 to have utility lines marked....they might give you a freebie, even if they aren't utility owned.

Better have people better than the ones 811 sent to me. Called them before digging to put in chain link fence. they marked the electric underground lines. They were 5 feet off. Of course I hit the power line. It was in PVC pipe and as I was careful digging I did no harm. Glad I was not using a power auger, WW

Reply to
WW

Metal detector?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Good question. If they are big enough and you can open one end, you can use a toy car to drag an extension cord throught the pipe and then use an electric wire detector to find the pipes;

Otherwise run radioactive plasma through the pipes and use a geiger counter. .

Reply to
micky

Play rap music at 100 db, and find the pipe with a stethoscope?

See? I'm trying to do better.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:34:25 -0400, micky wrote in Re Re: how can i find drainage pipe under paver driveway?:

Or, you can run a rotating snake

through the pipe and put your ear to the ground to listen for the sound it makes. It's louder than you would guess.

Reply to
CRNG

It is a disappointing deal....cable co. cut the barely-buried water line for my pond. Later, planning to do landscaping, I found the "buried" TV cable was really only in the roots of the sod, not down in the dirt. When 811 marked the phone and TV cables with flags, it appeared the lines circled my shed in the back corner of the yard near the util. pole. I had planned on having side yard area tilled for flower/shrub bed, but decided to do Roundup and dig myself. Phooey!

Reply to
Norminn