How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse?

Page 2 of 3

Mighty Mouse.
james wrote:

Think cat.
HeyBub wrote:

every single time a mouse thread comes up? And please don't tell us about that distillery cat again.
-- aem sends...

Then they do what mice do after they have eaten. Yuck. It must smell at your house.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Nope. No food or crumbs, no mice. I was using the teeter-totter traps baited with peanut butter, and relocating them, 2 or 3 a week, to a park on other side of river. But 4-5 months ago. I noticed the bait was vanishing, but the door was still open, and the trap hadn't tottered. Dunno how, trap still functioned fine, and hinge pins weren't gummed up. Maybe 2 mice cooperating- one eating, and one holding door end down and open? So I quit setting the traps out, and quit seeing mice. I keep the bird seed in tightly sealed 5 gallon buckets. In the kitchen, only food not in fridge is sealed cans or bottles- no paper boxes or plastic bags in pantry. Even keep the bread in the fridge. And I have trained myself to not eat anywhere but kitchen table any more, so no crumbs in other rooms either.
I'll take the occasional whiff of mouse over a the constant stench of a cat litter box, any day. And litter boxes ALL stink. Cat owners that claim otherwise are in denial, or they are so used to it that they don't smell it any more. But guests sure do.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

You're probably right. But so what?
I am indifferent to whether my guests are offended.
Conversely, if I don't like an environment with which I have an occasion to visit, I leave and don't go back.
Or set the place on fire.
Funny mouse story from years ago.
The company I worked at WG Johnston was closing:( The remaining workers were moved to a small area in the building. I was in field service still working, came in and checked the box of donuts in the adjacent kitchen like area.
Kinda peeked in box to find a mouse looking back at me:)
So I walked in office and said lennys here. Leonard lewis bought the company to shut it down and was universally despised.
Fear gripped them every time he visited more were let go:(
I said no not lenny lewis:)
Lenny the mouse in the donut box:):):)
The mouse was long gone. the donuts tossed.
After this the donuts lived on a small table in the middle of the office where everyone could watch them!!!
Johnstons was a great job, worked there 9 years and went in business for myself as it closed........

The mice you caught were Darwin award winners. Now you have a whole smarter generation to outsmart!
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:25:25 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

example:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ed7clt.jpg
Q: The bait is being eaten off the snap trap but the rodent is not being caught.
A: Try to use the least amount of bait possible in any style mouse trap used. The more bait you use, the easier it is for rodents to remove it without disturbing the traps. The goal is to have them apply extra force to the trigger pedal with their nose/tongue to remove the bait. To do this press a small amount of bait into the bait pedal.
Additionally, by using nesting materials like a string, mice will need to tug on the material to free it from the trap.
Be sure to position the snap trap so that the baited end of each trap is placed perpendicular to the wall. Rodents generally travel with their bodies against a wall for protection. It may be necessary to bait a rat trap without setting the trap and allow the bait to be eaten a couple of times. Then set the trap with more bait. Rats tend to shy away from new objects so this method gets them accustomed to the trap. Mice are more inquisitive than rats, so pre-baiting is less likely to be needed.
http://www.victorpest.com/resources/faqs #

Here is how:
http://i7.tinypic.com/2ex6kah.jpg

Mice can lick the peanut butter off of the bait pan. Use a raisin instead; crush it on to the pan, and they'll never get it off without tripping the trap.

It is easy to lick all the peanut butter off without tripping the trap. But, try wiring on a peanut.

True. I had rat traps set, but they kept getting licked clean without tripping. Huh? Then, one night, I looked out the window to see a rat approaching. I'm 2' away, behind glass, so he doesn't see me. Not only did he lick it clean... He held the bait shoe with both hands while he was licking it! Amazing. Unfortunately for him, I smear some peanut butter on the underside of the bait shoe. When he was all done licking the top, he stuck his head underneath to get that last little bit.... WHAM! The trap did a backwards cartwheel, I jumped a foot in the air. I survived. He didn't.
;-{

I always smear some on the wood under the bait lever. Maybe that's why I have a high catch rate.
Steve
Here is a mouse trap idea: http://lifehacker.com/5451065/make-a-diy-no+kill-mousetrap-with-a-toilet-paper-roll

Glue traps. No bruised fingers. No escaped mice.
Limp Arbor wrote:

Those are cruel. Just get a snaptrap and be done about it.
Jon

Glue traps are expensive. And have you ever heard a mice screaming that has been caught in one? It's terrible.
Steve