How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse?

Page 1 of 3

I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice successfully.
After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be found anywhere. How is this possible?
This is the trap I use:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/rodent/victor_trap.jpg
On 01/21/10 01:01 pm, james wrote:

Evolution: the mice are getting smarter with each generation.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following:

Eggsactly. Me, I just set out live traps and relocate them. They have a right to live like any of us, or else God wouldn't have put them here..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Glad to hear it ME TOO!
Dont keep food around your basement or garage!
I got into feeding birds and squirrels:) To save oney bought 50 pound sack of sunflower seeds.
Kept seeds in basement:( Was over run with mice, relocated 36 mice.
Checked and released trap at least twice a day.
Had a few deaths, onlt old grey aged mice
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:45:44 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Birds starved after that sack a seeds?
Live trapping is stupid. Mouse were NOT brought here by God, even if you b elieve in that sort of thing. Mice are an invasive species brought to Nort h America on ships from Europe. A released mouse with either A) live outsi de, where they are very harmful to birds that God did put here, if you beli eve in that sort of thing, or B) it will get right back into yours or someo ne else's house where they spread disease and cause anxiety.

My neighbor had a raccoon problem. Same issue. The thing was smart enough to take the bait without being trapped. Put up a surveillance camera to see what he was doing. Modified the bait setup. Caught him the next night.
On 6/19/2016 1:55 AM, mike wrote:

And did what with the racoon?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/19/2016 05:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,raccoon,FF.html

A mouse is smart enough to get a piece of cheese out of a trap. That's why one should use peanut butter. PB sticks to the trigger and cannot be easily removed. I also think PB attracts rodents better than cheese.
nb

I have a lot of experience. I only put traps in my garage and shops, as I also have little dogs that run around, so I have to be careful. I use the same ones as you, but a Tin Cat by Victor is better.
But back to your question. One of two things. Either the mouse does not get caught, or bugs strip the peanut butter. I have seen some mice push the trap to get it to spring, then eat the pb. For them, I place the trap vertical with the food down. That will get them. I have also come back to find a sprung trap, nothing in it, and a large dead pack rat close by. Guess it hit them on the head, and they didn't stay in the trap. So look around, and you may have a dead larger rodent. And then sometimes they get caught but manage to wiggle out, sometimes leaving a leg or paw.
I live in a very very heavily populated rodent area. I have to deal with huge squirrels that raid my fruit trees. Then there's the chipmunks that get into just about everything, the gophers that make tunnels and large mounds of expensive spoils on the lawn, pack rats, and mice.
I have given up on the chipmunks. For the squirrels, I use a shotgun and a water trap with a trap door that works good. I use spring traps for the gophers underground. I have gotten pretty good at catching them, but I have to check them EVERY DAY. My grandsons love coming here to stay, because we make rounds and empty the traps. Then we take a large metal spoon and see how far we can fling them into the air into the canyon abutting my property as food for the coyotes and birds. I'm going to make some tall T's to put them on so I can draw in some of the large raptors in the area.
Let us know what you figure out, and again, look for dead carcasses from injured animals. They get skanky real quick unless you're in a cold place, and then they will come spring.
Steve

Never, ever have I kept food, seeds, anything edible (insulation doesn't count!) in my basement or my detached garage. The little vermin overrun both anyway, since those are the only two places the cats don't go since neither are accessible from inside the house. I have no problem with live and let live, but that stops at the foundation of my house. You come in uninvited, you get what you get.

Never, ever have I kept food, seeds, anything edible (insulation doesn't count!) in my basement or my detached garage. The little vermin overrun both anyway, since those are the only two places the cats don't go since neither are accessible from inside the house. I have no problem with live and let live, but that stops at the foundation of my house. You come in uninvited, you get what you get.
That's the rule at our house, too. You can get some nasty stuff from mice, and having anything that they can eat or nest in invites problems.
Steve
willshak wrote:

yeah, sort of like cancer.

Never, ever have I kept food, seeds, anything edible (insulation doesn't count!) in my basement or my detached garage. The little vermin overrun both anyway, since those are the only two places the cats don't go (neither are accessible from inside the house). I have no problem with live and let live, but that stops at the foundation of my house. You come in uninvited, you get what you get.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Maybe just sneakier.
--- ---

The trap could have tripped after you set it due to vibration or a bump. Then, the mice cleaned it out. Just try again.
False trips are a part of having a hair trigger.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:28:29 -0800 (PST), mike

I've seen in the past it might take several try's to get a set trap 'operational'. 'Course a sprung trap, allowing the mice to clean it out will give them a false sense of security. Let 'em eat for a day or so and then set the trap.

It took once to learn to keep my fingers clear.

Putting them vertical helps so the rodent has to reach up and really push on it, and they're in the right position for the bar to get them. I have screwed them on to wood, and used velcro. It helps to get the REALLY smart ones.
Steve
mike wrote:

I had a rat problem in a warehouse I one rented and I fiddled with the big rat traps until the things had a hair trigger. I would often catch mice with them. Because of the size of the trap, the bar would whack the mouse on its hindquarters, the lifeless mouse would be found with a crushed backside and the oddest open mouth expression on its upturned little face. I can imagine that there was one loud ultrasonic squeak.
TDD