How best to connect a generator, HELP !!

I am 70 years old and have a bad heart condition, last year I had over 11 days of no power and had to live in my home with nothing but a fireplace and a sleeping bag. Now I have purchased a 2.5kw diesel powered generator but I can't get anyone to tell how best to connect it to the furnace. I want to disconnect the furnace at the circuit breaker and put a romex cable of 14/2 at the output of the breaker and connect it to a cable from the generator. But no one wants to let me know if this will work and if there would be any possible problems. Can some one let me know if they have tried this and had any adverse problems. Thanks for any answers, you can answer me by E-Mail.
Brownie, find an electrician and have him run a cable from the generator to your electric clothes dryer plug and feed your whole house from the generator through the dryer plug to the CB panel. You will have to shut of a lot of circuits but you can select the circuits you want to run. Just do not overload the generator. Also make sure the generator is located out side so the fumes from the exhaust doesn't get in the house.
With all the hurricanes down here in Florida a lot of folks have their generators hooked up this way and do not have to suffer long periods with out power. Muff

Muff wrote:

Just in case somebody doesn't realize that Muff is trolling, do not do this. It is illegal, violates the NEC, and also is extremely dangerous, especially the LIVE male plug. They don't call that a dead man's cord for nothing. Not to mention it dcould easily electrocute a lineman who is trying to restore power.
Best practice (and also most convenient) is to have a transfer switch wired for the generator. They aren't terribly expensive and any competent electrican can wire one easily.

cost someone their life. What you proposed is called a 'suicide' plug and is a good way to kill some lineman working on cable repairs.

How to use a Standby Electric Generator with a double-pole, double-throw transfer switch.
http://www.pge.com/safety/power_outage/standby_generators/#topic1