How are truss plates installed at a factory

Yes, they even have special nails just for that. But there is nothign wierd about it. Talk to the bean counters about how much cheaper and more effieient it is to press them in than pay a guy to hammer them in.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No glasses when nailing stuff cost me my left eye. Safety glasses were laying within arms reach when it happened. Started nail, misstrike and ZING Lacerted eye on the way by.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It doesn't press the wood. The ram is set to travel only as far as needed.

Reply to
Vic Smith

In the factory they are pressed in hydraulically. The only way I've been able to install them satisfactorily is with two metal plates and a big G clamp. Even then had to move the clamp about. I don't find them much good for manual use.

I use bolts, big washers and timber connectors (spikey washers) for stuff like roofs.

Reply to
harry

That's why they're not approved (Code, that is) for hand installation for trusses--it more than a hammer to be certain they're fully set in the material uniformly. (As the other link shows, there are onsite tools for repair/onsite assembly but they're also pretty clunky for the average HO. The rental place here has one I noticed last time I was in there for a magnetic-mount drill...

As another poster says, the travel is limited to not crush the material but to make sure the plate is seated...

--

Reply to
dpb

On 1/3/2013 10:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Truss not failing for lack of proper plate installation--priceless...

:)

Reply to
dpb

I figured you wouldn't have not, but...

--

Reply to
dpb

s on that... :)

I agree that the deck in the picture looks like it could use some diagonals.

The other thing I noticed - and it may just be because of all of the angles in photo - is that the AC unit does not look level. That would concern me due to the fan spinning while tilted. Maybe I'm just way too anal, but I would level the unit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

MOST truss manufacturing uses a roller rather than a press.

Reply to
clare

I buy my truss plates at the borg and then use one of these rollers to install them. SWMBO understands that I have to use the right tool for the job.

DerbyDad03

that... :)

Good point. I didn't look too closely at the a/c but if you are right about it not being level, I total agree with you.

Reply to
Doug

Real truss plates are different than the POS ones sold retail.

I have a friend who owns a truss yard...roof & floor trusses.

In a production situation, the truss pieces are laid out on a truss assembly table with guides, blocks & stops. The truss plates are "tacked" in their proper locations by a single corner with a sharp hammer blow. A large stiff "roller" that spans the complete truss is made to travel over it...pressing the plates home. (keep your fingers clear!)

Mitek is the mfr of plates my friend uses... they are the "biggie" in the industry (at least as far as I'm aware)

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

on that... :)

Fans don't give a hoot what angle they run at as long as they are not being moved. The compressor/condenser on the other hand may be sensitive to slope - work tilted one way but not the other??

Reply to
clare

A roller press. I've only operated vertical presses, and never saw a roller press in action. Seems it would press the plate in starting at some slight angle, and I wonder if there is different tooth design than for plates set with a vertical press. Looked a bit, but still don't know. Hell, I didn't even know they were using trusses for residential roofs. This was interesting.

Vic Smith

de quoted text -

Change the 9 in the link to any number between 1 & 12, and choose the "roller" of your choice.

Now, follow these segues....

Growing up in NYC, we used to go the Roller Derby at Madison Square Garden quite often.

A great Roller Derby movie to rent is "Rollerball" starring James Caan. It was made in 1975 and set in 2018. Very violent.

If you like "futuristic movies" from the '70's try this one:

"Death Race 2000" Starring David Carradine & Sylvester Stallone (1975) (also very violent)

Another great one from the 70's, although not so much a futuristic plot, is the 1974 movie "Phantom of the Paradise".

I've always referred to it as a rock version of The Phantom of the Opera, but Wikipedia takes it a few steps beyond that:

"Phantom of the Paradise is a 1974 American musical horror film written and directed by Brian De Palma. The story is a loosely adapted mixture of The Phantom of the Opera, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Faust, and also briefly references Frankenstein, Psycho, and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari."

How can you possibly go wrong with that combination? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03
****Trim Excess****

I have seen both old and new versions of Death Race and they're all fun. I remember "Rollerball" another hoot but I've been a fan of all the futuristic SciFi movies especially the low budget cheesy ones that make me laugh. Me and a lot of my friends love old Japanese monster movies "Rook! Godzirra!". I've been fan of SciFi since I was a kid reading everything I could get my hands on written by the likes of the masters such as Arthur C. Clarke, Theodore Sturgeon, Ray Bradbury and scores of others. It's fun to watch all the old futuristic movies and see things that are common today like video billboards, tablet computers, PDA's, video communications, stun guns, etc. Remember the movie "Blade Runner"? The police cars had multiple flashing lights all over them and what do see today? SciFi was once considered nerdy kid stuff but now it's become mainstream with big budgets and big stars. I suppose one could call it, revenge of the nerds. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

OK, this is spooky. I turned on the TV just as I was reading your post. I have my cable box set to default to the Science Channel when powered on.

They are running a marathon of Prophets Of Science Fiction episodes today. It's currently 8:30 here. The 9:00 episode has the following description:

"Philip K. Dick inspired Bladerunner and influenced law enforcement."

Wow!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wild isn't it? The giant video billboards in the movie were considered SciFi not that many years ago. I can't wait for "Vampire Strippers From Outer Space" to become science fact. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Large rollers or hydraulic rams.

Reply to
tom

pass on that... :)

Sounds reasonable so maybe I'm wrong. Still will try to remember to ask my a/c guy who I hope I don't need to see for a long time .

Reply to
Doug