How and where do I transition from cement board to sheetrock

If I use cement board within the shower area and the wall eventually turns into sheetrock

1) Where should the transition occur from the cement board to the sheetrock? Should the joint be behind the shower door? Or should it be just outside the shower door where the last tile will be set on the sheetrock?

2) How do you finish the joint between the cement board and sheetrock? Use thinset with tape or should I first use joint compound?

Anything else or comments?

Thanks.

Reply to
poison_1024

It depends on what style of finish edge you are using.

If rounded edge, the edge of the tile is rounded off. For corners, it is double rounded. For this style, make the joint under the last row; taped with joint compound.

If bullnose, the edge of the tile is rounded over at a 90 degree angle that will cover the edge of the cement board. Lap the cement board over the sheetrock and end it exactly where your edge is. You will have to space it out from the studs for your lap.

Bring the tile outside the door. I prefer to tile everything in the shower; walls and ceiling.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yes I want to bring the tile outside the door as you said but I wasn't sure where to end the cement board. So what you are saying is to put the sheetrock/cement board joint right on the last column (not row) which is outside of the shower door?

Andy Asberry wrote:

Reply to
poison_1024