How amny cars have you owned and TCO?

Page 1 of 2

In my 40 yrs of car ownership I have owned and driven: (x) yrs owned; [xxx,yyy] xxx = purchase price, yyy = selling price
1. 65 Plymouth Fury III (1) Junk [$700,0] 2. 73 Merc Capri (2) a little better than Junk [2600,2000] 3. 76 Pontiac Firebird (2) Junk [5000,5000] 4. 79 Pontiac grand prix (14) Junk [9000,1300] 5. 90 Acura Integra (17+) Best by far and still going strong [12,000,n/a]
Total cost net of trade ins: $21,000
Estimated total cost of repairs (over 40 yrs) < $2,500
Needless to say I do almost all work myself
All cars were driven approx 12k/yr
54 Mercury, bought for $200 in 1964, drove 2 years, sold for $100
66 Malibu bought new $3100 drove a year, traded
67 Malibu bought new $3600, drove a year, traded
69 Corvette bought new $4500, drove 3 years 169,000 miles traded
71 Jeep Commando bought new $3600 drove 5 years 180,000 miles sold for $1800
58 VW Beetle $500 converted to a street legal Dune buggie, played with it for a few years and traded for a drywall job
71 Gremlin, given to me, drove 3 years, 40,000 miles, sold $500
72 Ford Econoline bought used $1700, drove 4 years 100,000 miles sold $500
75 Chevy Monza bought used $1500 drove 5 years, 80,000 miles sold $500
78 Econoline, bought used 4,000, drove 8 years, 60,000 miles, loaned to a dozen people and given away.
1983 Firebird bought used $6000 drove 6 years 100,000 miles sold $1000
1988 Suburban Bought used $9000, drove 5 years, sold $900
1989 Camaro bought used $11,000 (almost new, the guy won it in the slurpee contest). Drove 7 years, 90,000 miles, sold $2000
1986 Lebaron given to me, drove 5 years, traded
1997 Prelude bought used $13,000 still have it.
2000 Ford Sport Trak bought used $10,000 still have it.
That is just my cars, do you want to talk about my wife's cars or my motorcycles ;-)
1- 1965 Chevy Nova, bought used in 1979
2-1984 Toyota Tercel, bought new in 1985
3 -1992 Subaru Loyale, bought in new 1993
4 - 1998 Subaru Forrester, bought used in 2007
Don't plan to buy another car for at least 15 more years, since I drive less than 2K a year.
Mat wrote:

Can only list and not positive it's complete...not what I pay much attention to as for the statistics...mixture of personal and farm included...
55 Ford 60 Rambler 63 Impala 2D HT (shoulda' kept this 'un) 69 Charger (ditto...) 7? Buick Centurion (gas crisis bargain) 84 '88 88 '88 (touring package; _great_ road (interstate) family car) 93? Park Avenue 97 LeSabre (*) 99 300M 10 Buick Enclave (3 weeks--think I'm going to like this a lot...reluctantly traded the 300M but it was a terrible mud/snow car on country roads and the LeSabre while superficially the same as the Park Ave. is not nearly as good a mudder as was it altho can't explain why. The AWD Enclave w/ 18" wheels has much more ground clearance and the larger tires are much smoother on washboard'y gravel roads. And, it drives very much better on highway than one might expect and is nearly as quiet as the 300 as well...we've yet to have a hub-deep rain event but the neighbor that has one on their road a mile south which is about the same condition as ours says it's good...) (*)
LD Trucks 28 Chevy (owned by grandad/dad not me what I learned to drive -- we used it for feeding cattle daily until the early 60s) 55 Dodge 1/2T (5?) [150,300] 58 Chevy C10 (first farm pickup) 72 Chevy C10 (27+ still in daily use; left w/ friend in TN when came back to KS farm as already had trucks) 78 Chevy 4x4 (20+) 86 Chevy Silverado C10 (14+) 98 Chevy K20 4x4 (*) 99 Chevy C1500 (*)
MD Trucks 39 Chevy 2T 48 Chevy 1T 58 Chevy C60 (52 and counting...) (*) 59 Chevy C38 1-1/2T (this is still running but taken to TN in early 90s where I used it for trips to sawmills and general utility hauling and was gifted to friend of son starting out on his own in masonry/stone/concrete when we returned to farm) 78 Chevy C70 tandem (32 and ditto...) (*) 88 Ford(! but Cat 3208-powered :)) L8000 (2) (the "cookie" truck w/ 24-ft box purchased at auction for the move from TN; used for storage until had place for all stuff arranged then sold was a Nabisco distributorship lease return w/ the painted out "Chips Ahoy" signage still faintly visible on the sides if looked carefully :))
HD Trucks (for grain/cattle/hay trailers) 80 White tractor (12 counting) (*) 00 Kenworth tractor (4 ditto) (*)
(*) current inventory...
40 yrs) < $2,500

53 Mercury Monterey if it was a fluid, it leaked Paid $200 in 1962. My brother paid $400 for a couple of years earlier 62 Corvair Monza Paid $1900 in 1964 very comfortable to drive 61 Pontiac Bonneville 64 Pontiac Tempest red interior 64 Pontiac Tempest blue interior Paid $100 for it and sold it back to that same owner for $100 a year later 64 Karman Ghia convertible, heat rusted out paid $15 for it and was a great fun car Sold engine for $100 and scrapped body 70 Karman Ghia was in 7 accidents and was not moving in any of them. stopped at light for 2, parked for 5. like a magnet 68 Olds Cutlass Vista Cruiser first car with AC 71 Ford LTD wagon Paid 100 about 1975 or 76 junked after teenaged son hit a guardrail on icy road 78 Chevy Malibu first brand new car 80 Chevy Malibu 79 Chevy Monte Carlo 81 Olds Cutlass 83 Olds Cutlass 83 Buick Regal (bought used in 1990) 83 Mercedes 300D expensive to keep up. sold it in 1990 with 185,000 miles 86 Olds Ciera 91 Buick Regal traded it in for the 07 Hyundai. Engine and trans were excellent, the rest was falling apart after 16 years 97 Buick Lesabre 01 Buick Lesabre (last GM car I will ever own) great car for 35000 miles, crap since 07 Hyundai Sonata Limited V-6 (best car I've ever owned) no repairs at all in 67000 miles 10 Hyundai Sonata Limited V-6 (hope it is as good as the last one)
22 cars in 49 years. Most have been driven 25,000 to 50,000 miles per year. Most of the time I have two cars.

Typo. That should be $1200
Mat wrote:

Hmm, New company car every 3 years, all domestic brand. Could only pick from big 3. After retiring, Subaru, Honda AWD model vehicles always.

I once counted the cars I owned about 15 years ago. It totalled 76 at that time. I can't remember all the cars now. I am guessing over 100. I would buy a used car and then someone would want to buy it from me. They would give me a decent profit, so I'd sell and find another one. I am not a dealer.
Hank <~~~~likes cars, doesnt LOVE cars
Mat wrote:

My first 3 cars and the best ever were Studebakers.
--
LSMFT

Mat wrote:

Let's see if I can remember, all were used, I never bought a new car in my life, First car a 54 Nash Rambler the ultimate POS and then, 56 chev. 55 chev. V8 (with wonder bar radio!) 63 chev Nova SS (got drafted when I had this one) 61 Corvette (College years and got married) 1949 chev pickup (back up for the corvette) 67 Camero 65 Imapala SS 61 Chev Pickup (torsion bars in the front!) 67 Malibu SS 68 Datsun Station wagon (pink and found a bong in it) 68 Chev Biscane (a donor car for the Malibu) (got divorced) 72 Pinto (I wrecked it) 70 Comet (a good simple car, lots of miles put on it) 69 Datsun station wagon 66 Chev Caprice (found a baggie of grass in it) 73 Chev Impala (the biggest car I ever owned) 73 Monte Carlo (totaled in a wreck, not my fault, broken ribs hurt!) 72 Toyota Corolla (28 mpg! and found several roach clips in it) 74 Toyota Corolla station wagon (non running fixed it drove it) 76 Datsun 280Z put over 100K on it. Had it for over 20 years, kid drove it through his college years. 81 Datsun 280 parts car 74 Datsun 260 non running but I drove it home 73 Toyota Corolla station wagon 81 maybe a 82 Chev Caprice 4 door (POS) 70 Ford Courier (Mazda) bought to fix and drive 72 Ford Courier (Mazda) bought to fix and drive 78 Ford Courier (Mazda) bought to fix and drive 80 Datsun Pickup bought cheap to sell, ran OK 82 Datsun King Cab bought it to fix and drive, my kid in the Marines at the time showed up and drove off in it, said he'd bring it back in a couple of months, never saw it again, never got paid for it either. 80 Ford 1/2 ton pickup 78 Corvette Silver Anniversary (POS but it held it's value) 85 Honda Accord (repaired auto trans and put 130K mile on it) 85 Toyota (inherited it with 40K on it put over 100K on it) Currently 98 Toyota Camry maybe drive it 6K a year 94 Mazda Pickup (Ford) probably drive it 2K a year I'm sure I missed a few. I don't drive much any more, now retired. I think at one time I could have taken a chev small block V8 apart and put it back together blind folded.

I could have the heads off a 283 in an hour.
Steve

I could have the heads off my mopar 318 in my dodge van in an hour while sitting on the front seat listening to the radio during a rainstorm. I used to adjust the distributor timing while driving home from work ....while drinking a beer. Damn, I miss that truck!
nb
I can take an orphan out of Kenya and have the entire USA looking for work in 18 months.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Mat wrote:
Mine...
1939 Chevrolet business coupe ($275 in 1951)
1951 Studebaker Starlight coupe ($795 in 1954)
1956 Ford Victoria (not Crown Victoria, $2000 in 1956)
1961 Austin Healey 100-6 (about $2000 in 1959)
1966 Triumph Spitfire (about $2500 in 1966)
1967 Datsun - now Nissan - station wagon (about $2500 in 1967. A perfectly horrible car)
1973 Fiat Spyder (about $4500 in 1973, still have it)
1998 Ford Taurus wagon ($13,500 in 2000, still have it, to be retired soon)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Missed one...
1932 Chevrolet touring car ($75 in 1953)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

1.'65 Corvair Corsa (Turbo 180HP) Crap, traded 2.'66 Chev Impala (283) Good car, 12yrs 3.'76 Chevett (4) basic but reliable 4.'79.5 Chev Citation (V6) Crap, junked 5.'80 Chevett again just basic 6.'86 Celebrity Euro (V6) rust-bucket 7.'90 Hyundai basic prior were all bought new 8.'95 Saturn (SL2) excellent car, still running.(belt idler,belt tensioner,muffler,alternator,battery,water pump) less than $500 DIY 9.'01 Buick LeSabre(3.8)excellent car,have it
9.'01 Buick LeSabre(3.8)excellent car,have it
I'd give you mine for a parts car, but none of the parts work any more. Heated seat, power windows, climate control, transmission, brake lines, assorted lights. All crap. The rear windows are held up with pieces of wood I put in the doors. By far, the worst car and poorest value of any car I've evern owned.

I really don't remember all the #s I can tell you a 66 Fury and an 87 F-150 turned out to be the cheapest rides ever. Bought for $100 and $300, neither ever really needing much, aside from tires, brakes and oil changes Many years of service, I still have the F150 and will for some time.
I will give a car sequence, #s where I remember.
1959 Triumph MC 1967 Honda MC 1965? NSU 1960 Chevy Bellaire 1965 Chevelle 1970 Duster 340 NEW $2900 1966 Fury $100 drove 10 years and sold for $80 1962 Imperial 1973 454 Corvette 1975 Dodge Van 1970 Chevy caprice 1970 Volvo SW 1979 F350 Ford (Still have) 1965 GTO 1987 F-150 Ford $300 (Still have) 1987 BMW 325is 1983 Jag Xj6 1997 Jag Xj6 (Still have)
Over all the beaters gave the most for the least, the fancy expensive ones are that way cradle to grave.

I won't list them all, but my formulae for the last couple decades is to buy a 5 or 6 year old car with 100,000km (60,000 miles) for 5 - 6 thousand dollars and drive it another 160,000 Km (100,000 miles) and then hopefully sell it still running and roadworthy.
Worked fine for the 88 New Yorker and the 90 Aerostar. Sold them both with 240,000 km on them for $1700 - the New Yorker was 18 years old and the Aerostar was 14?. The '94 TransSport had more miles on it when I bought it and cost less to buy, but the same by the time it was on the road, (factory rebuilt 3.8 and tranny) and it only lasted just under 100,000km before it went straight to the junkyard (where I should have let it go in the first place) The '85 LeBaron made the 100,000 before the body fell off - Sold the (rebuilt Mitsu 2.6) motor and tranny and interior which were on the road for another 8 years or more. (Another one that I paid less for, but did a lot of work to get on the road - and likely should not have)
Going back a few years, my first car was a $60 1961 Mini (7 years old with 196,000 miles) that I drove 18,000 miles in just over a year and sold for $300 (after rebuilding the engine and having a lot of fun with it) Then I put about 100,000 miles onto a '63 Valiant that I paid $700 for with about 50,000 on the clock, and put the '69 dart that I bought 1 1/2 years old with 60,000ish miles on it up to about 204,000 before selling it in 1972, still running and looking great when I left the country for a few years.
My average cost of ownership, excluding oil changes, insurance and gasoline, is well under $1000 per year.
Current vehicles are 1996 Mystique 2.5 and 2003 PT Cruiser - both bought for $5500 - $6000 with 90-100,000km on them and 5 years old - now both around 135,000 km.
Repairs on the Cruizer so far have been about $900 - brakes, radiator, battery, and steering parts - and the Mystique about $3000 - intake manifold gaskets - exhaust, lower control arms, inner tie rod ends, AC reciever drier, window regulator, brake lines, and numerous electrical connections. And a set of snow tires and winter rims for each ($500 per vehicle).
If I had to scap them both today my total cost per year on the Merc is ($8000/9=) $888 per year, and The PT Cruiser about ($7000/3=)$2333. The Merc should be good for another 2 or 3 years, and the Cruizer another 5 or more
1975 bought a 55 2door hardtop. $200 No motor or tranny but my brother had some crap ones he was going to let me put in to make it run.
1976 sold the first 55 back to my brother and bought a different one in better condition. $350
1979 company car, a Vega station wagon. Drove that thing everywhere, always filled the tank for the weekends, still sometimes I had to pay for a little gas.
1980 I killed the Vega, they bought a new pinto station wagon for the older employee and I got his Vega SW. That one was worse than mine.
1981 Got a brand new company car, a Pinto SW Stick shift. Ran OK but didn't hold the road as good as the first Vega... and I pushed it to it's limits all the time, The Pinto would overheat the front brakes during rat racing on back roads, luckily it was stick.
Somewhere around this time I lost my license and had to buy my own car and let others drive it for me for work. Paid kids to do it for $100/week but they got so bored they all quit. Oh, that was a Mustang II. Six cylinder piece of shit. Mustard Yellow.
1982? junked the mustang and bought a GMC Gremlin. No joking, I loved that car and wish I had it. When it wouldn't start I'd open the hood and put the distributor cap back on. The vacuum advance would leak gas fumes to the distributer and first spark of the points, Pop! Funny, often it stayed in place enough that I drove it for who knows how long until I popped the hood and saw the cap off again. The plug wires were the only thing holding the dist cap in place and it still ran great!
1984? Bought a really nice 1978? Monte Carlo with low low miles. Loved that car also.
1988, traded in the Monte for a GMC Safari cargo van and started my own business
???? Bought my first new vehicle, a full size 1/2 ton cargo van (last year of the old style) Hated that vehicle! It handled bad, it road bad, took 2 years and many trip to the dealer to put new axles in the rear. Brakes would pulsate. First time they replaced the brake drums and it still did it, I told them it was the axles. A whole other story, you wouldn't believe what they did to it. Still under warranty a shift solenoid went bad which left me with no low gear and no overdrive. Took the idiots a few days to fix it, the computer was also bad making that solenoid not right.
???? got a 1988? Thunder Chicken. It was loaded. I liked it, it was like a Ford version of the Chevy monte carlo.
2001, gave T-Bird to my daughter for graduation. Back to driving only a work van again.
2002 Got a new leftover 2000 1 ton Chevy cargo van for a song and a dance. I think about $9,000 under invoice. Chevy wanted it sold so they gave the dealer $3000 so they could sell it soon. Plus other rebates, and free parts racks, and about $1500 less thanks to my GM card.
2004? A 2002 Saturn SL2 with 1,000 miles on the factory warranty. Boy did I luck out
I still own the 55 Bel Air, the 2000 cargo van, and the Saturn