how 2 drill hole in ceramic tile?

I have ceramic tile on an indoor pool spa. I want to drill a one inch hole in it to mount (relocate) a new air button control for spa jets.
What is the best way to attempt this without damaging or cracking the tile? There is a layer of tile mounting board and then steel framing of the pool mounting frame under the tile.
Do I use carbide tip bits? What best suggested bits/drill to use? All I have available is a 1/4 drill.
Thanks for comments.
Morenuf
--
snipped-for-privacy@nobodyhome.com.invalid

Diamond hole saw, although you will need more than a 1/4 bit to drive it or endless patience...

Get a drill bit specifically made for drilling glass and tile. Any home center or hardware store should have that type of bit, although you may have to do some searching before you find one that large.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) says...

There are hole saws for glass and tile, or he could always just freehand one with a die grinder and diamond bit.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

A tile dealer will sell a bit that cuts holes in tile to go around pipes for tub spouts and shower heads. They are similar in structure to the 'hole saws' that cut out a hole for a door knob. I have a small one like you need for spouts and a larger one for faucet valves. These diamond (or cheaper carbide) drill bits are expensive- about $50 as I remember, but you could get a cheaper carbide tipped one for your single purpose. These cheaper one's have tiny carbide bits welded onto the cutting surface.
FORGET any kind of large carbide drill bit (the type that are shaped like a typical drill bit) as they won't make a clean hole and will risk breaking/chipping the tile.
If your hole does not have to be clean- that is there is a plate around that button that will hide considerable error in cutting, you could buy a glass bit for about $8 at a hardware store and drill several holes in a circle, getting your approx. 1" hole.
BTW you'll need a larger drill for the hole saws.
thetiler
morenuf wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-HOLE-SAW-SET-1-2-AND-1-NEW_W0QQitemZ6043965662QQcategoryZ50383QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Cheap stuff, but it's all you need for the one hole.
Borrow a 3/8" corded drill or larger. Use water to lubricate as you drill. Don't electrocute yourself - use a GFI cord.

Thanks for all the replies and information. Much appreciated. Morenuf
--
snipped-for-privacy@nobodyhome.com.invalid