Household goods affordability

Page 5 of 10
On 10/12/2013 11:15 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

These items are cheaper because of increased automation.
This is also why things like health care and education in part keep going up because the same number of individuals are required in the process.
Threads talking about the price of shirts are mentioning an item that has largely gone offshore because factories full of seamstresses are still needed. Apparel like stockings are still made here as they are completely machine made.
On 10/13/2013 4:32 PM, Frank wrote:

I've noticed that the cost of anything the government tampers with or interferes with, goes up. o_O
TDD

Right. I should have mentioned a better example of something like hiring a plumber.
Education is a very poor example. Every time the government loosens borrowing rules, colleges just hike up the cost of tuition. In medicine complying with government regulation is about 40% of the cost if I remember Ted Kennedy correctly.
On 10/15/2013 6:35 PM, Frank wrote:

If medical insurance could be purchased across state lines and 65 year old couples were not required by government rules to purchase pregnancy coverage, the price of normal medical insurance would have been affordable but government just had to screw with medical insurance again with the idiotic Obama Care which has nothing to do with providing affordable health care. It does give government more control over the lives of the citizenry. The government can tell citizens to do as you're told or we will cut off your medical care. It's so absolutely obvious that only the stupid don't see it and the P.L.L.C.F. know it but refuse to admit it. o_O
TDD

And concludes that everybody is getting richer, which is quite unwarranted unless the time cost of little things like food, housing, transportation, medical care, education, and taxes are also taken into account. This kind of half-baked, disingenuous crap is about the only thing AEI puts out any more. Like many of the other so-called "conservative" or "free enterprise" organizations, it has largely become a shill for big business.
On 10/13/13 5:44 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

Americans are spending less of their disposible income on food as time goes by. I looked at the U.S. Department of Agriculture site. It has that type of information but it is unavailable due to the "shutdown". There is a chart here: http://tinyurl.com/3yqoses Americans spent about 23% of their disposable income in 1930. We were spending about 9.5% of it by 2010. I wonder why the big spike in the mid to late 1940s. Wouldn't it be tough to compare medical costs over time? Doctors have a bunch of new toys and techniques they didn't have in the past.
message

Of course, that is "at home"expenditure, not total.
When I was a kid, eating out was maybe a once or twice a year thing and there was no such thing as "fast food". Now, restaurants of all kinds have proliferated and people eat out frequently; they patronize fast food places even more frequently.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

A few weeks back, my wife had a late doctor's appointment so we stopped at a restaurant on the way home. This was a local chain, the 99, similar to Applebees and the like. It was a little after 5, just enough time for parents to leave work and grab the kids from a sitter. I was amazed at how many families were there. Like you, eating out was a rare treat when we were kids. It was a big deal to go shopping with mom and have lunch at the counter in Woolworths.

Gotta love that roast beef sandwich with mashed potato, all covered by the ubiquitous brown gravy :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I think that eating out when we were kids (in the 1950s) was a big deal because we had a father that worked all day and a mother that was a "housewife" all day. There wasn't enough income to splash around eating out and dinners were part of mom's job anyway.
Then by the 1980 we saw a metamorphosis to the "two-income" family. That brought in more income to pay for a larger and fancier house, a larger car (usually a gas guzzling SUV), a second car to support the second job and childcare for kids that were too young for school (which by then was nothing more than day care paid for by the state). The two jobs don't leave time for preparing dinners, hence the restaurant bonanza.
In effect, most husbands and wives decided to dump family living for conspicuous consumption and debt. The debt comes from the second job usually not bringing in enough after-tax income to pay for the larger house, second and larger car and all its costs, day care, eating out, etc. It just builds up on a credit card.
It would be fun to watch if it wasn't so pitiful.

OTOH, we go out for, usually, three meals a week, have zero carryover on our cards, a 3600sq.ft. house (and a 2600sq.ft. that we're in the process of selling) and two new vehicles. Go figure.

Kids? We elected not to have kids, which was a huge savings.
The women in my family have always worked. My grandmother worked retail, my mother was an office manager, and I am a computer programmer. I'd hate it if I couldn't pull my weight financially.
We go out together, usually, once a week, but each of us lunches out separately a few more times. A 1200 sq ft house and two older vehicles. Definitely not Keeping Up With the Joneses.
Cindy Hamilton

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 18:47:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adi.com (Cindy Hamilton)
goods affordability:

That is to be commended and admired IMO.

Spoken like a true lefty.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 18:47:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adi.com (Cindy Hamilton) wrote:

One. Grown and long gone (perhaps we did something wrong).

My mother never worked until my dad died. My wife worked from the time my son was 12 until last year (can't find a job, now, so will "retire"). She wants to work more to have something to do than to make money. Can't even find anyone who wants volunteers.

Only lefties care what the Joneses are doing. They're *so* insecure.

Maybe your news server isn't connected to hers and it takes time for everything to sync up. She uses tds.net which doesn't ring a bell as one that should be shunned.

I'm much the same way. I'd rather volunteer than be idle. Sadly, the various places make it near to impossible to volunteer. My last volunteer position, it became clear that the department where I was helping didn't want volunteers, and got rid of them as fast as they could.

I beg to differ. People have aspired to have more/better stuff than their neighbors since cuneiform was all the rage.
"The Flavii have a new chariot. We need a new one, too."
Cindy Hamilton

On 10/15/2013 10:36 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Now you'll tell me Eve at the apple because she wanted to be smart like the serpent?
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 14:36:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adi.com (Cindy Hamilton) wrote:

Envy was an ugly and counterproductive emotion, even then. It's what leftism is based on.

"Maybe we need to forgo our vacation this years so we can buy a new chariot?"