Household goods affordability

Page 4 of 10
On Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:25:44 PM UTC-7, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'm not an employer, so please excuse my .02. I agree with every word you said. Have you considered foreign imports? They are usually better educat ed, and in most cases, have far more work ethic than the semi-literate youn g-'uns you have been seeing.
Second thought: What is actually wrong with hiring a "60-year-old guy" as l ong as he can meet your requirements? The recession has wrecked the lives of many respectable, well-qualified workers who THOUGHT they could look fo rward to a decent retirement with their families. If the older workers can retrain to do what you want, I can guarantee you that they sure as hell kn ow what compound interest is!
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 17:33:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

My boss gives points to "60-year-old guys" when hiring. Finding a graduate who knows which end of a soldering iron to pick up is nearly impossible anymore. He did hire a kid (45) recently, though.
********************Trim Da Phat********************

Back in the 1970's me and a several guys I knew decided to take a refresher course so we could obtain our First Class FCC license required for a job as a broadcast engineer. We already knew our electronics and had experience in the field but needed a little help to guarantee we passed our test. There was one gal in the class. She was nice and we all liked her but she didn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other but did know a screwdriver was for screwing. Everyone in the class passed the test and obtained our First Class FCC license. Guess who was immediately hired by a radio station? That was my first real brush with Affirmative Action. o_O
TDD

seriousness of the charge.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:06:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas

She had the tools the station was looking for.

Two pointy ones. o_O
TDD

When Kodak still had employees, my Dad used to joke that a Jewish Black woman could be hired and be VP within a year. As usual, the Congress is the problem, writing and enforcing laws like Affirmative Action.
Sadly, Congress "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" seldom gets credit for their problems.
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 07:34:11 -0400, Stormin Mormon

All this BS is before the supreme court again. somehow some of the justices don't understand the concept of "treat everyone equal" preferring to treat some people as more equal then others.
The reason a college degree is required for almost any decent job today is because making a degree a job requirement eliminates many of the "equal employment class" from the job pool and somehow has managed to escape the ire of the Affirmative action wackos. They have, however, started attacking the notion that you can ask someone if they are a convicted criminal when considering employing them. That's unfair, you shouldn't be allowed to protect your workplace from KNOWN thieves cuz they 'paid their time' in jail and shouldn't get punished again in the workplace. I guess the notion that maybe they shouldn't have been out thieving never occurred to these people.
On 10/21/2013 1:31 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

How about determining the intelligence of job applicants because you have very expensive equipment you don't want some dumbass destroying because he can't read and understand the operating instructions? But darn, that would be racist even if it eliminated many Caucasian job applicants. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:32:39 -0500, The Daring Dufas

years ago, state gvt, I was going to interview applicants for my clerk position. I thought I would do a very short dictation and have them type it up as part of the interview. Mentioned that to HR and they blew a gasket. It was to BE ASSUMED that if HR put them on "the list" that they had those minimum qualifications. Did HR test them for that? No, they just took their word for it!!! But I was not allowed to verify they actually had the skill. Basically we were not allowed to "test them" in anyway as part of the interview.
On 10/13/2013 8:33 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Yes, we have a couple of them.

Nothing, but they are skilled and experienced people not interested in doing menial work for low wages. They want and are worth double the wages this entry level position pays. We have a lot of over 60 people and in the past couple of years we had two retire at age 76 and 74. Half our workforce is over 50,
On 10/13/2013 6:25 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

But pre-employment tests are racist. o_O
TDD
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:47:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas

That's why a smart interviewer doesn't give tests. Just ask them what they've accomplished.

OH MY GOD!! That's even more racist! If the American people had asked Obama that very question, he would have never been.... never mind. o_O
TDD
TDD

That would have been a fun transcript to read.
Interviewer: So, Senator Obama, what have you accomplished? Obama: Now, let me make myself perfectly clear. We will bring hope and change. Interviewer: What are some of your goals? Obama: We want to fundimentally transform the nation.
On Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:15:48 PM UTC-7, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Do you know any place where I can compare a pound of Russet potatoes or Rib eye steak or a gallon of milk or a visit to the doctor for a yearly check-u p (without some bs insurance) or a semester of English 101 at Harvard (with out tuition assistance) or a gallon of gasoline? Unlike appliances, all tho se things have not changed. For that matter, I remember paying $150.00 for a calculator in 1976 that I can buy today for $1.99 and I would prefer the old appliances that were built to last anyway. Technology is not a good com parison.
On 10/13/13 12:11 AM, Bob F wrote:

Some information here http://tinyurl.com/6xo3y6 for gas prices. Gas was the equivalent of $3.87 in 1918, $3.51 in 2013. The lowest equivalent price was $1.46 in 1998.
On 10/13/2013 10:46 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 20:50:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Pound of salted honey-roasted peanuts $2.58 at Kroger. Been the same price for a couple of years.
On 10/13/2013 9:46 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

When I was in college I was paying 22 cents a gallon for regular but the dollar was worth more back then. Minimum wage was $1.60/hr too. o_O
TDD