Household goods affordability

We're on the same page. I believed someone else here claimed you could get a USA made dress shirt for $60. I think they do still make some small amount of shirts here, but $60 is more typical of the everyday retail price of an import shirt.

Reply to
trader4

If wool shrinks when wet, why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Six thick sheep, twixt six thick thumbs.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That takes a MPz degree. Masters in Pizza.

I'm remembering some thing "from another list". The old woman is at the store, during extended power ct. She is buying microwave popcorn. Other shopper, much younger. "Lucky you, have electricity..." No, the old woman says. Power still out. We're going to take scissors, cut the bags open. Scrape out the oil and pop corn. Cook it up in covered pot on the range top. Which we'll light with a match. The younger woman got excited, and ran to tell her shopping companion, now they can have popcorn.

Some people don't have the recipe to boil water.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm on that list, sadly. I wanted a pressure washer. Electric plug in, for cleaning stuff at work. Bought one from Ebay, $50, which arrived and find out it was missing tips. The Sears guys didn't even admit there was a Craftsman electric pressure washer. Bought a wand and tips at Lowe's for about $65. Came with hose. Find out the pressure switch on unit 1 was defective. Red Sears, Craftsman. So, I bought a blue Campbell Hausfield. That was maybe $60 or so. The high pressure housing cracked after a couple jobs. Plastic!

Went to shop around. Home Depot had one with metal housing, and I've been using it since. $98 plus tax. So now, I've got about $400 invested in a $98 pressure washer.

Idiot, reporting, sir!

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anita Hill: It doesn't matter the manner of the evidence, it's the seriousness of the charge.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Another silly thing some people do is find that a store someplace is selling the same product for $5 less. Or the fast food place has a coupon there good for $5 off. So they drive 10 miles farther each way to get it. So they just used $3.50 in gas, plus other per mile expense attributable to a car. Then factor in the time and what have you really saved?

Reply to
trader4

She had the tools the station was looking for.

Reply to
krw

That's why a smart interviewer doesn't give tests. Just ask them what they've accomplished.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
krw

But, to use that example... how long will the 2013 gas stove be usefully se rviceable relative to the 1958 gas stove? Gotta consider the whole life cy cle. I really would like to know if this is just a mistaken impression or able to be supported by statistics, but it seems that a lot of new products are made simply cheaper, not necessarily less expensively. I hope I'm wro ng.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Now there's something with which I'm familiar, since I can never find my si ze at a "discount" store anyway. Apparently clothing manufacturers think t hat anyone ~6' tall must weigh at least 300 lbs, or else having lots of mat erial blousing out around your belt is fashionable.

I finally just gave up and started shopping at more upscale stores, but fin ding a "slim fit" cut dress shirt is still challenging sometimes.

nate

Reply to
N8N

One. Grown and long gone (perhaps we did something wrong).

My mother never worked until my dad died. My wife worked from the time my son was 12 until last year (can't find a job, now, so will "retire"). She wants to work more to have something to do than to make money. Can't even find anyone who wants volunteers.

Only lefties care what the Joneses are doing. They're *so* insecure.

Reply to
krw

Spoken like a true lefty.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
N8N

I'm sure not. She is a great cook and baker and candy-maker. ;-) She got my mother's recipe book and is in the process of putting it together for publication (for the rest of the extended family).

OTOH, I have trouble getting the frozen pizza into the microwave. I was hurtin' a year ago when we were living apart during the week. I hate going to a restaurant alone, too.

Reply to
krw

For two, they're probably not that far from reality. I prefer home cooked meals, though. Restaurants are nice but not every day!

Reply to
krw

It's probably not that far off. We can eat out for $20ish, plus tip. We spend a *lot* more than $100/wk at the grocery store and that doesn't include the monthly (six weeks?) trips to Sams to fill the freezer.

Reply to
krw

serviceable relative to the 1958 gas stove? Gotta consider the whole life cycle. I really would like to know if this is just a mistaken impression o r able to be supported by statistics, but it seems that a lot of new produc ts are made simply cheaper, not necessarily less expensively. I hope I'm w rong.

Valid points. I think you're right, that many things don't last as long as they used to. But it's even more complicated than just making them cheaper so they don't last. In the case of a stove, how long would most customers want a stove to last? The 1950 stove might have lasted 30 or 40 years. But today appliance styles, features, colors, etc change. So I don't think many people would want a stove to last that long, nor would they be willing to pay extra to have it last that long, especially on a lower end one that costs $400. Even if it lasts 10 years, it's just $40 a year and then you have a brand new looking new stove again. Even if the super stove lasted 30 years, it's gonna look like hell by then.

On the other hand, it seems a common complaint here that furnaces for example, HVAC stuff instead of lasting 25 to 30 years, only lasts 15 now. But maybe that isn't entirely bad either. If you shelled out extra money in 1985 for an HVAC that would last 30 years was that such a good thing? That furnace was less than 80% efficient and now you have furnaces that are 95%, two stage, etc. AC was less than 10 SEER, now you have 14. So, it's really a more complex problem.

Reply to
trader4

Why didn't they just buy popcorn and some oil?

Seems more than one expects.

Reply to
krw

Who cares? It'll last long enough.