Household goods affordability

The conclusion is an obvious one. Even the "poor" have cars, multiple TVs, microwave ovens,...

Reply to
krw

I'm not an employer, so please excuse my .02. I agree with every word you said. Have you considered foreign imports? They are usually better educat ed, and in most cases, have far more work ethic than the semi-literate youn g-'uns you have been seeing.

Second thought: What is actually wrong with hiring a "60-year-old guy" as l ong as he can meet your requirements? The recession has wrecked the lives of many respectable, well-qualified workers who THOUGHT they could look fo rward to a decent retirement with their families. If the older workers can retrain to do what you want, I can guarantee you that they sure as hell kn ow what compound interest is!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Was it ever anything but?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Are these made in America or made overseas? Made overseas, I agree you can find them at those prices on sale. But at the large dept stores that typically have the big sales, I haven't seen a made in America dress shirt in years. Not that I specifically went looking for one, but I sure haven't noticed any. I would think there are still some manufacturers left, but I bet they are expensive.

Reply to
trader4

My boss gives points to "60-year-old guys" when hiring. Finding a graduate who knows which end of a soldering iron to pick up is nearly impossible anymore. He did hire a kid (45) recently, though.

Reply to
krw

Big government? No, of course not.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A bit here about U.S. house sizes:

House sizes roughly doubled since the 1950s despite family size decreasing. Houses have been getting a bit smaller lately. Maybe people are regaining their sanity.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yeah, there is some truth to it. If you were looking to fill certain positions and you had a choice between someone who got a degree of any kind, ie English, political science, etc, and someone who had no college, the college degree would be worth something.

But it's been well known for decades that a degree in engineering, science, etc has a lot more value than a degree in history. And those graduates are still doing pretty much OK today. If you got a degree in mechanical engineering and took a few computer courses, you can probably find a job as a programmer, web designer, etc. If you get a degree in political science and don't take any computer courses, well good luck. But it's always been like that.

If you

And those jobs also offer the opportunity to start your own business after you've got experience.

I have five

I'd love to see some statistics on whether an MBA really makes you a better manager and if so, by how much. Some of the best and most successful managers, eg Andy Grove, had no business degree. Neither did the Intel founders, Gordon Moore and Bob Noyce. Or Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jack Welch, etc. Probably 95% of business management is either common sense or thing that can't be learned at a college.

Not to mention all the $$$$ for all the years of additional school and the lost income. Which goes back to what you said about learning a trade, like HVAC or plumbing. Look at what 4 years at a good college costs today. With a lot less money, you could start that HVAC business or some other small business. Or put the $200K into an investment fund. Not saying college isn't worth it, but if you're going to go, you better make sure you pick a degree where the return is going to be worth it.

Reply to
trader4

Yes, we have a couple of them.

Nothing, but they are skilled and experienced people not interested in doing menial work for low wages. They want and are worth double the wages this entry level position pays. We have a lot of over 60 people and in the past couple of years we had two retire at age 76 and 74. Half our workforce is over 50,

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message news:l3fa07$hki$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org

Of course, that is "at home"expenditure, not total.

When I was a kid, eating out was maybe a once or twice a year thing and there was no such thing as "fast food". Now, restaurants of all kinds have proliferated and people eat out frequently; they patronize fast food places even more frequently.

Reply to
dadiOH

A few weeks back, my wife had a late doctor's appointment so we stopped at a restaurant on the way home. This was a local chain, the

99, similar to Applebees and the like. It was a little after 5, just enough time for parents to leave work and grab the kids from a sitter. I was amazed at how many families were there. Like you, eating out was a rare treat when we were kids. It was a big deal to go shopping with mom and have lunch at the counter in Woolworths.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And, those are the type of people who vote for Obama, six times.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WWII?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

That is *exactly* where I was going with it.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Stormin Mormon:

I'd opine that it's evenly distributed across the population and that most politicians in both parties are pandering to an ignorant and decadent populace.

Is one party "worse" than the other? I doubt it as both are mostly representing special interests in order to get the money they need for television commercials at election time.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Gotta love that roast beef sandwich with mashed potato, all covered by the ubiquitous brown gravy :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Sure they do, tells you right on the package...microwave for "x" minutes.

Reply to
dadiOH

Yes, overseas. They're $60 normally.

Only custom made, AFAIK. You aren't getting one for $60, either. I knew a woman who had to have her shirts custom made because of her sleeve length and collar size (*long* and small). She wore men's custom-made shirts because it would have cost a bloody fortune to have them made for a woman (costs a bunch to have the buttons sewn on the other side, ya' know). They were still well over $100 each. That was over 20 years ago.

Reply to
krw

Right, and you can't count them one more time to check the results because that would be racist.

Reply to
krw