House won't heat

Page 2 of 2
My house stops eating for awhile when it gets really cold too. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's pretty normal.
Matt wrote:

Unless I want to remain inside, that is... :)
You're supposed to eat more in the winter. Calorie is a measure of heat. Houses need to eat more, too.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You may call that normal, I call it that you either have a system that is failing, or the unit is to small for the structure!
~kjpro~
Your system is under pressure and water will not boil at 212. You should be at apx 12lb cold . I dont know what boiling point is at higher temps but 200 wont hurt the system, call the boiler manufacturer. Did you ever try bleading the radiators yourself? That is your first step. And be sure water level is correct
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:51:18 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Oh god! Ransley.........I cant believe your stupid ass. You think that water in the boiler wont boil because its under pressure? Wrong. When you get the limit setting near 200 you get very close to boiling the water. First of all, those controls arent real accurate. Setting it at 200 or 210 will pretty much just about get the water boiling. 12 lbs is also NOT some magic freakin number that boilers get set at. They are all different. It is the height of the highest radiator. Have you ever seen what a boiler does when it starts boiling in a hot water boiler (not steam)? The boiler actually starts jumping on the floor. It can get very violent and very destructive. Your webtv advice is enough to get someone hurt or destroy perfectly good working equpiment. Pick another topic you know something about. Bubba
Oh mg Bubaass water under pressure wont boil at 200 you moron. And Weil Mc Lain a company youve probably never heard about works as manufacturers instruction at 12 lb cold with radiators 33 ft up , you really should learn about equipment before you post BS . Try instaling a few, My tech instaled it, set it right, just as the old unit was 12lb cold. its obviously not a job for you, you have obviously never worked on a 3 story house 10ft ceilings with full basement 8 ft ceilings. Go hack em in today Bubbaass
It sounds like your radiators are undersized if you bleed each one of air. More insulation in the attic and better windows and insulating shades and curtains would be your best option. R 60-80 attic+ will help. Cellular shades are R3.3 it will double LowE Argon values. Curtains and liners will also help alot. R35 attic is Minimum code Chicago, Minimum is minimum.

Is the circulating pump cycling on and off also? I would think it shouldn't, given that you never reach the set temperature on the themostat.
When you say it's 65 in your house, how do you know? Do you check it at the thermostat location? In my house the thermostat is set for 70 (when we're home) but the house never gets up to 70. The reason is simple: The thermostat happens to be in the warmest spot in the house. (smart design, huh?) It is indeed 70 in that spot and the pump and boiler cycle on and off as needed to keep it so. It's more like 66 in my bedroom, which happens to suit my constitution (and wallet). If I wanted it to be 70 I'd have to set the thermostat higher.
I guess what I'm saying in my long-winded way is this: Is your thermostat calling for heat all the time? Or is it perhaps in a warm spot, or miscalibrated, or defective, such that it is turning off the heat at a lower temperature than you want? With older thermostats just being physically off level could cause a problem like this.
Greg Guarino
I've checked the thermostat. Seems to be level. it reads 65 while set to 72. It calls for heat all the time. THe house seems to be of a uniform temperature (I have thermometers in every room) just low. Raising the water temp got me a few degrees on the air temp. Can I go higher than 190?

Bubbaass mororn you still do not get get it do you MORON 12 psi is WEIL MC LAIN set point on a 3 storey house , READ THE MANUAL U dunb- turd moron - idiiot
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:41:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Yeah, right, Im the moron and you cant even post without double posting. And you're still a retard if you're just automatically setting a 3 story at 12psi. I dont think you know how to read a manual and I noticed you paid no attention to the math I showed you. Go figure. Oh thats right. Its webtv. Total fuck-wit. Why dont you just hang a sign on you that says, "Kick Me". Weil McClain set point..........hehehe. You're killin me man, yur killin me. Bubba
Bubbass I Guess you never worked on quality residential heating - to bad moron, it exists.. Unlike your Log Homes in hillbilly country which require your Log Service!!!!!