house smells

My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Reply to
Eddie G

You mean, other than that instead of smelling like cat piss, your house will smell like cat piss and fabreeze?

Reply to
Goedjn

Or cat piss and lysol. Maybe cat piss/vanilla lavender combo will be nice?

Reply to
Eddie G

I tried this one without any apparent negative effects (which, of course, doesn't prove there were none). However, there was not much of a positive effect either. You might be able to smell the air freshener for an hour or two. The cat smell will last much longer!

You really need to fix the root cause. Try moving the cat box, a different brand/type of litter or whatever.

In my case, the musty odor problems were eventually solved when I replaced a rather old and ickky carpet.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I agree. Also changing or scooping the litter more often will help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Eddie G" wrote in news:1158704123.560777.16470 @d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Key is to check it periodocially throughout the day. Scoop out only the soiled litter and put in airtight bag.

Cat's don't like soiled litter. Do you think you would like to shit in a toilet that already had a load in it? They don't even like to go in a cat box given a choice. Wherever I've been, I've always made an exit so they can go outdoors on their own. Once they find this, they will choose to go to "their" spot 99% of the time. It also provides an exit in case of fire.

If your cat is a male and unneutered, the smell is nasty and lengthy. This is just nature. Get the cat neutered and it will tone down unbelievably.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Hi, Relocate the litter box. Be logical. I have 3 cats in the house, litter box is on the main floor far from return air duct. Also I clean the box twice a day every day.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I almost made the mistake of putting the cat box in the basement - then good sense came back. I put a cat door in the garage to livingroom doorway and stuck the box in the garage where it belongs. Clean every day, change the litter every week and no problems.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Hi, In my climate that is not an option. In winter it gets as low as

-35C(wind chill upto -50s in C) Can't have such set up. My family always have had pets. Always neutered or spayed. Now we have 3 adorable cats(two Bengalis cross sisters and an older male tabby) and a dog.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

HeyBub

Tony Hwang wrote in news:z52Qg.570104$IK3.221991@pd7tw1no:

No basement Tony? I lived in a place such as yours but it only got to

-30F :-) I always left the basement door ajar but closed. Cats would all put paw under door and pull open. Cats go to basement, up on cabinet, jump up to platform put inside of sill window slider. I replaced one side of the slider with PT plywood and an oval hole with plastic interlocking triangle pcs specifically for it.

I think you can actually but a window, with frame and flap, that replaces the basement sill pop out window. Little pricey though.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Seems like the dampness of the basement would make the odors even worse. The litter would never have a chance to dry out, at least in my basement it wouldn't.

Reply to
Autumn

Put the cat box in a bathroom, scoop out the days droppings and put into the garbage.

Reply to
Norminn

Eddie, Try out a filter that has activated charcoal in it, it would be worth spending the money on. You only have so many options, fitter the air and remove the smell, TRY and mask the smell, or get rid of the cat or rid of the reason for the smell (better sanitation.)

However, I would like to point out something that may or may not be important to you. If you think the smell is "bad" I can promise you anyone that visits and doesn't have a cat will think the smell is extremely bad. Even if you don't smell your cat, anyone that visits you home will know you have one. You just get use to the smell, but it is still there.

Reply to
Stevey Sandlin