House Painting/ Exterior

I am looking to have my home re-painted. My question is--- is primer (on bare wood after prep) plus one finish coat sufficient? Or, should there be two finish coats?

Reply to
Pelorus

if you're going to skimp on a coat, put two coats of primer on and one of paint. the first primer coat is going to practically disappear into the wood. the second will give you a surface to paint on. primer is cheaper and it will last longer this way.

that said, i personally recommend two coats of each for longest lasting paint job. and you've already got everything prepped..

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Hi: Question; Re "repainting". How come there is 'bare' wood on an existing house to be repainted? Or did you scrape all old paint off? Cos I can understand the discussion about more than one undercoat if it was 'new' never painted before, wood! Just curious.

Reply to
Terry