House Numbers Painted on Curb

Well they may not be useless to real estate agents and crooks, but the painters promote them as valuable for emergency workers. Emergency workers have maps that will show them that it is the 4th house from the corner on the southside, so one doesn't have to look for numbers. Probably the most use place for the numbers would be in rural areas but then they probably don't have a curbs to put the numbers on.

What gets me is how many business have not numbers showing on their buildings. Often in looking for an unfamiliar business address, I pas dozens of building with none indicating a number. Incredibly dumb.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

If this is how the numbers get painted, one wonders what type of paint they use (so it will last) and how good they are at "signpainting" numbers (so they are legible).

Reply to
EXT

It's been done as far north as pittsburgh, at least.

If someone painted our natural stone curbs (ie not poured concrete, and not easily replaceable), then came and asked for a donation, I'd insist they clean it up.

I'm considering making cast stone plaques for us and possibly some neighbors... just havn't figured out the details.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Try blue numbers on a red background

Reply to
sleepdog

On 07/10/05 07:46 pm George E. Cawthon tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

When I lived in So. Cal., I saw many houses with numbers painted on the curb (black on white). I found it far easier to locate the house, especially at night, because they showed up well and were in a consistent location.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Most were rather well done. It has been years since I lived in the city and it may have been lead based paint at that time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Back when I was a kid and this was common I remember that they all used stencils. They also seem to have obtained reflective paint somewhere so I wouldn't be surprised if the city was supplying it.

I also remember that in general they weren't what you would consider "a bum" these days. They were clean, reasonably neat in appearance and polite.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Reply to
Rob Mills

I grew up in So. Cal and I remember almost every house having numbers painted on the curb. In fact, one summer a friend and I made some extra money in addition our paper routes by painting curb numbers.

Greg M.

Reply to
Greg M