House Numbers Painted on Curb

Page 2 of 2
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

mostly a scam. But, at least here, the emergency people just don't give a damn about looking for house numbers on the curb. Besides, they aren't that flexible. They have maps, and GPS, and all sorts of stuff. They should since they get money from a telephone assessment and about 3 different real estate tax, still they still get lost and can't find places that are clearly marked. Like I said, not very flexible, reading the actual street signs apparently isn't part of the training. Doesn't have much to do with smarts, because those FBI agents (mostly lawyers) seems to have a problem with mixing up addresses also.
Numbers on the curb seem to be a southern thing, up here where the snow flies, they would be buried under snow or slush for 4 months of the year and scraped off the surface of the curb by the snowplows.
wrote in message

It's been done as far north as pittsburgh, at least.
If someone painted our natural stone curbs (ie not poured concrete, and not easily replaceable), then came and asked for a donation, I'd insist they clean it up.
I'm considering making cast stone plaques for us and possibly some neighbors... just havn't figured out the details.
--
be safe.
flip

If this is how the numbers get painted, one wonders what type of paint they use (so it will last) and how good they are at "signpainting" numbers (so they are legible).

Most were rather well done. It has been years since I lived in the city and it may have been lead based paint at that time.

Back when I was a kid and this was common I remember that they all used stencils. They also seem to have obtained reflective paint somewhere so I wouldn't be surprised if the city was supplying it.
I also remember that in general they weren't what you would consider "a bum" these days. They were clean, reasonably neat in appearance and polite.
ml
On 07/10/05 07:46 pm George E. Cawthon tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

When I lived in So. Cal., I saw many houses with numbers painted on the curb (black on white). I found it far easier to locate the house, especially at night, because they showed up well and were in a consistent location.
Perce

I grew up in So. Cal and I remember almost every house having numbers painted on the curb. In fact, one summer a friend and I made some extra money in addition our paper routes by painting curb numbers.
Greg M.

Try blue numbers on a red background