House Numbers Painted on Curb

Page 1 of 2
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on white background?
Thanks!
ELL wrote:

Mine are black on white. Really, who cares...

Black on white.

Ummmm...What if you live on a gravel road???
Personally, I think the fire dept would pull up to the house with smoke spewing from the windows too :)
Black on yellow
m Ransley wrote:

Black on reflective yellow or white.
http://www.amesresearch.com/reflect.htm
Or use a top coating spray paint: http://www.allstatesign.com/reflective_paint.htm
m Ransley wrote:

Good choice! Tony

Black on white. I've not seen that for many years. Used to be very common when I lived in Philadelphia. Now they are on the mailbox at the curb as well as the front of the house. The town requires them for 911 calls.

Our city likes it if you have numbers on the roof so they can aid police helicopters.
Steve

they could radio in; "Roger that,,,we are over the house giving us the Finger, over." (-:

I like it if the police helicopters have a bullseye painted on the bottom ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
ELL wrote:

-- Tom
ELL wrote:

on the curb are useless. Emergency people aren't looking at the curb, and any numbers will be dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't read them. Painting numbers on the curb is a scam. If you want people to find your address, put the number on a clear spot on the front of your house, or nail them on a tree, a fence, a mailbox, but make sure that they are about at eye level.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Depends on where you live, I suppose. There are places where it's part of the local zoning code. Where I am there are a lot of trees - can't always see the front of the house, no mailboxes by the road allowed, cars aren't allowed to park on the streets after a certain time at night (not really a need as everyone has fairly long driveways), etc.
Emergency drivers would certainly be looking for the numbers on the curb if they were there.
RicodJour wrote:

live in a poor area where the lots are only a half acre. Where does the mailman put the mail if you can't have mailboxes by the road? I suppose they don't allow pink flamingos either! :)

Both of my sons are fire fighters in a fairly large city and one of their biggest peeves is folks who don't have their address's visible at the street. One of the best places is to have them is on both sides of the drive just as the city curb curves into the driveway, this way they can be seen coming from either direction. If your heart quits ticking at 3 AM you'll be glad you had them in plain sight as every second counts. RM ~
PS, We just had ours redone with reflective white numbers on a green back ground, You can't miss them. Cost me $10. We also have large brass numbers on front of house.

Huh? Just because they don't use them where you are doesn't mean they are useless. What's useless is when the numbers are covered in ivy, or one or two of them have fallen off, or they are brown numbers on a brown wall, or ..... well, you get the idea.
I have seen many a house where it is a time consuming hunt to find the house numbers.
And some homeowners take delight in making them hard to see.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Well they may not be useless to real estate agents and crooks, but the painters promote them as valuable for emergency workers. Emergency workers have maps that will show them that it is the 4th house from the corner on the southside, so one doesn't have to look for numbers. Probably the most use place for the numbers would be in rural areas but then they probably don't have a curbs to put the numbers on.
What gets me is how many business have not numbers showing on their buildings. Often in looking for an unfamiliar business address, I pas dozens of building with none indicating a number. Incredibly dumb.

Not always. In many big cities there is no parking allowed on one side or small streets. Having been employed in my teenaged years delivering groceries, it was common to use the curb numbers. They were in a consistent place, unlike some house numbers on doors, next to doors, over door, on mail boxes, on light fixtures, etc.
In the summer, it was a way for the derelicts of making a few bucks. They would paint the numbers and ask for donations.