House Numbers Painted on Curb

Mine are black on white. Really, who cares...

Reply to
G Henslee

-------- Black on white.

Reply to
Abe

Our city likes it if you have numbers on the roof so they can aid police helicopters.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Black on reflective yellow or white.

RicodJour

Or use a top coating spray paint:

RicodJour

Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on white background?

Thanks!

Reply to
ELL

Ummmm...What if you live on a gravel road???

Personally, I think the fire dept would pull up to the house with smoke spewing from the windows too :)

Reply to
Gene

Depends on where you live, I suppose. There are places where it's part of the local zoning code. Where I am there are a lot of trees - can't always see the front of the house, no mailboxes by the road allowed, cars aren't allowed to park on the streets after a certain time at night (not really a need as everyone has fairly long driveways), etc.

Emergency drivers would certainly be looking for the numbers on the curb if they were there.

RicodJour

Huh? Just because they don't use them where you are doesn't mean they are useless. What's useless is when the numbers are covered in ivy, or one or two of them have fallen off, or they are brown numbers on a brown wall, or ..... well, you get the idea.

I have seen many a house where it is a time consuming hunt to find the house numbers.

And some homeowners take delight in making them hard to see.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Black on yellow

Reply to
m Ransley

Black on white. I've not seen that for many years. Used to be very common when I lived in Philadelphia. Now they are on the mailbox at the curb as well as the front of the house. The town requires them for 911 calls.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Retro reflective white on black or black on retro reflective white.

-- Tom

Reply to
Tom Horne

Hi, Good choice! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Wonder why you couldn't have the Hawaiian Salute painted on the roof, then they could radio in; "Roger that,,,we are over the house giving us the Finger, over." (-:

Reply to
2_Biz_E

Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers on the curb are useless. Emergency people aren't looking at the curb, and any numbers will be dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't read them. Painting numbers on the curb is a scam. If you want people to find your address, put the number on a clear spot on the front of your house, or nail them on a tree, a fence, a mailbox, but make sure that they are about at eye level.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Not always. In many big cities there is no parking allowed on one side or small streets. Having been employed in my teenaged years delivering groceries, it was common to use the curb numbers. They were in a consistent place, unlike some house numbers on doors, next to doors, over door, on mail boxes, on light fixtures, etc.

In the summer, it was a way for the derelicts of making a few bucks. They would paint the numbers and ask for donations.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

In article ,

I like it if the police helicopters have a bullseye painted on the bottom ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Yeah, I forgot about the upscale areas since I live in a poor area where the lots are only a half acre. Where does the mailman put the mail if you can't have mailboxes by the road? I suppose they don't allow pink flamingos either! :)

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Nothing is "always." Numbers on the curb is still mostly a scam. But, at least here, the emergency people just don't give a damn about looking for house numbers on the curb. Besides, they aren't that flexible. They have maps, and GPS, and all sorts of stuff. They should since they get money from a telephone assessment and about 3 different real estate tax, still they still get lost and can't find places that are clearly marked. Like I said, not very flexible, reading the actual street signs apparently isn't part of the training. Doesn't have much to do with smarts, because those FBI agents (mostly lawyers) seems to have a problem with mixing up addresses also.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon