House numbers on vinyl

Does anyone have experience hanging house numbers on vinyl siding? What's the preferred method. I've asked around at hardware stores, but they all seem like this question hasn't been asked before.
The two suggestions that seem the most reasonable so far are to either use long wood screws to anchor the numbers into the wood underneath, or to just use some kind of adhesive and stick them to the exterior of the siding.
The former sounds like it raises the potential for a leak. The latter, well, is it secure? And will it damage the siding, particularly if I might want to take them off at some later point?

If you use wood screws a bit of silicone caulk the 20 year exterior variety should do the trick. Just install all of the numbers pull them down again and put a dab o caulk on each hole. Reinstall
I personally have not much luck with glues and the sun, wind and rain. I bought a ARE topper for my truck 2 years ago and the ARE stickers are falling off.
<< Does anyone have experience hanging house numbers on vinyl siding? What's the preferred method. >>
1) Buy some stencils and paint the numbers on. Shop the hobby stores for vinyl-specific paint. 2) 3M makes vinyl stick on material that sign and letter makers have widely adopted. A Google search should turn up many vendors and likely there even some Yellow Pages sources in your locality.
<< I might want to take them off at some later point? >>
By that time you'll probably need new siding anyway. But item 2 above will let remove or change. HTH
Joe
On 20 Jan 2004 08:03:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Pete from Boston) wrote:

A wooden sawtoothed base that fits the siding works great. I did this to mount a base for a landscape light transformer. Use PT, cedar, white oak, teak, redwood. I put a bead of GE silicone on the back before screwing the base into the siding. Use deck or stainless steel screws.
On 20 Jan 2004 08:03:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Pete from Boston)
I used pop rivets to attach to vinyl without any connection to the wall. Works great.

lots of experience

pop rivets

the vinyl will buckle if you use a screw

bad idea adhesives tend to free up in the cold climate

pop rivets work the best on vinyl.................and are self sealing. there is no other "professional" way.
do it once ............................and be done with it.
I had exactly the same situation. I bought brass numbers, attached them to a decorative wooden panel which I had painted a contrasting colour and then secured the panel to the underlying wood beneath the vinyl with brass screws. That's two holes instead of six (I have 3 digits in my number) and it looks very good. If you didn't want to use screws through the vinyl, you probably could use construction cement. But I've put a lot of holes through the vinyl for various purposes over the years and have had no problem. Another thought... You might want to buy one of those European style street number signs but they are not cheap. ds

Pete from Boston writes:

Have a truck lettering computerized sign shop cut you some from the best grade of vinyl lettering, weeded with transfer tape applied for do-it- yourself application. This will look better, fit right, and last longer than anything you can buy at Home Depot.