House intercom system

I'd like to be able to get an intercom system installed in my house. Maybe 4 or 5 stations would do. Are there any that I can install myself or do they have to be professionally installed? Also, I'd hate to tear into the walls to run wires so I'd like to know if there are any good wireless ones (or even ones which supposedly use the house wiring). The rooms I want to connect are on thre different floors.
Suggestions welcome.
Thanks! Walter
We previously used an intercom system from Radio Shack ("You've got questions, we've got blank stares") that connected to our existing telephone wiring. It worked OK, but then we got a Sony cordless phone system that incorporates an intercom function and an answering machine.
MB
On 08/01/04 10:42 pm Walter Cohen put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

"blank stares" cracked me up -- right on! :-)
I, too bought a Radio Schlock item but it goes through the house wiring. Works very well. I have 3 and all I have to do is plug it in and it works. I've mounted one on a kitchen wall, put one next to my wife's side of the bed and move the other wherever I want. Currently my daughter's got it while she's recovering.
So, while we're making fun of RS, their products actually do work very well!
Howard from Santa Rosa, CA