House Gas Kitchen Stove Burners: Ignition Mechanism ?

Hello:

Trying to learn something about this before I go looking.

On new gas kitchen stoves:

Regarding the burners: I guess none of the new ones use a "pilot light" anymore.

So, how do they ignite ? Do they require an electrical connection to 110V AC to produce a spark, or is it done via a crystal being deformed to make the spark, or... ?

Might as well also ask, please: what is meant by "sealed burners" that I've read about ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Yes, they have ignighters. The ones for the burners spark just like the gas grill piezo electrics. The oven and broiler have glowing elements.

It is posisble to buy a stove that still has pilot lights, but it will not have any electrical components at all. No ovent light, electirc timers, etc. Any stove manufactured with electric must have an electronic ignition. Overall, they are pretty reliable. In the 15+ years we've had our stove, I did replace anoven ignighter, but not for hte burner.

I don't have one and know little about the, except that they are less likely to get gunked up by spills.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

Very few have standing pilot lights anymore.

Most have electric spark ignition for the surface and hot surface glow ignitors for the oven.

Yes. Most/many gas ranges today also have an oven light and a clock, these will need the 110 volt outlet as well.

Older gas ranges mostly had open burners with lift up cooktops, a sealed burner is screwed to the cooktop and the cooktop is no longer an lift up style. There is no longer a big open space around the burner for things to fall through and make a mess underneath.

Hope something here helps :) Some other info that may help...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid