House Fire

Page 1 of 3
http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fire-Destroys-House-3-Homeless-111461314.html
Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.
Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.
I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR can help with.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Probably a scam of some sort. Scams are heavy this time of year. Very vague report. Anyway, if they couldn't afford insurance, they couldn't afford the house.
I'll bet he has a P.O. box to send money to.
Hank <~~~~~ takes responsibility for own stupid acts.
Add pictures here
✖

Not enough information to assume that. There are a lot of houses out there that aren't worth insuring but are still habitable.
Fires caused by careless disposal of ashes are a common source of house fires. Mine go from the stove (ash pan) right out the door and spread on the lawn.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Then there is no loss. Structure not worth say avg $1k/yr cost of insurance?

Add pictures here
✖

No loss? What about the contents?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

There are a whole bunch of people out there, hard working and honest who have their backs to the wall. When the kids need food some things have to be cut. My family was one of them. We had no insurance and I don't think there was any one amongst the neighboring farmers that did either. This was back mid 30s through the 40s.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Quite true, Harry, but this guy did it by choice.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:27:56 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Back when the neighbours would all pitch in and have a barn up in a week, and a house in another. And they knew you would be right there for them if they needed help.
Add pictures here
✖

All too true, time a crew arrives at the station then gets out into the country to the scene...not much to be done except protect other near-by buildings. I had a grass fire in the highway ditch. Called them and was sweating blood while trying to keep it out of my pasture by the time they arrived. One staion 4 mile away, one 6 and both showed about the same time.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

What would you call burning your house down due to improper handling of wood ashes?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Beyond the issue of not really properly addressing fire issues to begin with - more smoke detectors for earlier warning, more fireproof barrier materials and of course options to detach the fire from the house entirely i.e. outdoor boiler, the big issue sounds like having the house occupied by relatives who were not fully trained and cognizant of the proper procedures for managing the wood stove(s), hot ashes, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, self insurance is not part of being off grid. It is certainly possible to be commercially insured off grid, however you can not do it while being "old school" and not taking things like fire safety seriously. As I noted, things such as wood fired outdoor boilers are insurable since they do not present a fire hazard to the house, only to a small shed at most. An "old school" dry wooden farm house with wood stoves, inadequate clearances, and without adjacent fire rated surfaces *is* a fire hazard as shown by this fire and is thus not insurable.
Add pictures here
✖
<stuff snipped>

Not conventionably insurable, but if actresses can insure their legs, some insurer, somewhere will sell you a policy. You might not be able to afford the premiums, though . . . (-:
http://onlinefnp.com/2010/17-weird-but-true-celebrity-health-insurance-policies-you-wont-believe /
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖

Wood stoves inside a house are also insureable. I didn't even have to pay extra insurance when I installed mine.

Insurable.
True, but none of that was the proximate cause of the fire. There is also nothign to show that any of that was even present.
You seem to be making a whole bunch of unsupported assumptions. I have asked repeatedly where you got the information that the house was uninsurable.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:42:28 -0800 (PST), Harry K

As long as it is UL (or equivalent) listed and installed according to code you can get insurance (sometimes paying a premium)

Some places, under some conditions

But insurance companies, contrary to common perception are NOT in the risk business. Which is why a lot of companies, in a lot of areas, either will not cover, or will heavilly surcharge, a house with wood heat as the primary source of heat. The numbers are there. The risk of something like what happened to the Spence Homestead are significantly higher when wood heat is the primary heat source for a residence. The under-writers assess the risk and attach a dollar figure to it. They then attempt to reduce their exposure to high-dollar-risk policies, and attempt to make those exposures as close to self financing as possible - which means higher premiums

Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, he took a risk in not setting up his off grid place in an insurable manner, and he lost and proved why his setup was not insurable.
Add pictures here
✖

1. Where is there anything showing his house couldn't be insured? 2. How does "improper disposal of ashes" show his setup was "not insurable"?
Has absolutely nothing to do with whether his installation was safe or not.
I heat almost solely with wood. I am in the county. I have only a well with 3/4hp pump for water source.
Three strikes but I have full insurance and it was inspected and passed by the agent.
How I, or anyone, disposes of ashes has no effect on the "insurable" status of a place. Now if I were to burn it down due to poor disposing of ashes _and he could prove it_ the policy probably wouldn't pay out.
Spokane Wa almost always has at least one fire a year caused by some idiot putting a container of hot ashes out on their deck. The guy this year added a new twist. Beginning of heating season he put the container propped against his wood pile.
Stupidity cannot be rated by an insurer.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 8, 3:46 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Stop cyber begging and we'll call it even. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:22:18 -0800, "Steve B"

Gibe us you mailing address and I'll send you a check.
Add pictures here
✖
Pete C. wrote:

No such site at that address.