House Expansion Project Advice

Hi! We're about to expand our house, a 24 x 48 rectangle, by adding on a 1,374 SF 2-story floorplan we found which is also a rectangular shape - should be easy to build (no complicated rooflines, bumpouts, etc). What I'm looking for is perhaps a website that takes you through the process and each step one by one, from obtaining the permit to the final inspection. Does anyone know of a site like this? If not, I'm sure there are books on the topic. What titles should I look for?

Are you serious?
-Tim
Totally serious. Hubby and his 2 brothers are in construction, so we've got that covered. I'll end up being in charge of coordinating everything, I'm sure, so I'm looking for project management-type info like timelines, checklists, etc.
Tim Fischer wrote:

Katrina wrote:

Hmmm, Can't trust brothers? They should have needed knowledge or connections to carry out the project.
They're in the next state up from us, so I will probably just be able to get them here to do the framing which is fine with me. A local friend of the family is in Constrution as well, (plus he's fluent in plumbing, etc.) so he'll be our biggest resource as far as getting this addition put on.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Have a designer look at your plans. Two large rectangles boxes slammed together will look like a firehall. Good design has character and bumpouts. Trust me, I just added a 25x32 two floor addition to our house. I had the same plan going it. Easy rooflines, and a basic box. Turns out that didn't look too good, and we eneded up spending a lot of time re-framing. Now we're adding dormers, bump outs, etc to break up the Firehall look. It looks awesome now though.
I found a designer onine that can draw up your plans into a 3d Software and do all of the tweaking and adjusting before you start swinging hammers. She does great work. Well worth an email or call to her. She is great, and doesn't cost nearly as much as you would think. She would have saved me a ton of time had I found her earlier.
Her site is http://www.3dplanview.com /. Tell her that Jason recommended you.
Katrina wrote:

Thanks for the link. In our floorplan, there are two terraces on the 2nd level, so it's not like one big massive 2-story rectangle. The existing house is a one-story, so the addition will complement it very nicely.