House Dry Well Questions

My kitchen and laundry room connect to a dry well that has been working without problems for about fifty years, but now it is starting to back up into the kitchen sink when the clothes washer pumps water into the drain. Does this sound like a blockage in the pipe, or like the rocks in the dry well are clogged? How can I test this? What do I look for when I look down the inspection hole (about a foot across)?
Bert Byfield wrote:

How many years do you think you can put sludge in a dry well before it fills????

I was afraid that that was the case.