house AC connection

one part of the house has no electricity AC. probably blown fuse/circuit breaker trip. But I am not going to /or able to fix it yet. If I take an long extension, connect one end 3 prong male to the part of the house that has power, and the other end female to the other part of the house, make a male and male connector . connect the power to the wall socket of the house that does not have power, Will it make the other part of the house live ? Assuming that I do not use too much juice that will trip more circuit breaker.

Reply to
philip5malin

Yes it would backfeed the dead circuit, however if the dead circuit became live again, it could cause a dangerous situation

Reply to
RBM

definetely a bad idea, better to run a extension cord for some lights, or fix the open circuit.

your idea could be dangerous and might even cause a fire

Reply to
hallerb

Not only a fire, but what about the poor soul who happens to walk in that room, unplug the "HOT MALE", and not know it's hot. Youch!!!!!

B-A-D idea...

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

That happened to my first wife. 'Cept she didn't unplug me. She just took a baseball bat to me.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Im just curious why you cant or wont make the repair to the wiring and have opted for porch monkey rigging.

Reply to
cornytheclown

Very stupid idea. Find and fix the real problem.

Reply to
Dave

That is bad from many points of view. Overloading the extension cord being one. Having some very unexpected excitement upon finding that you are on two different legs of a 240V circuit.

In short it is a really really dumb idea.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Joseph Meehan

do you have a relative tom meehan in pittsburgh pa sheraden? If so he was my neighbor growing up, and last time I saw him he looked good espically considering he is the very last of the neighbors still living there. I am 49 so its a long time ago..

tom was is a heck of a nice guy and so is his wife. Sadly there daughter disappered years ago and was featured on unsolved mysteries with robert stack. she was never found

Reply to
hallerb

What he said.

Fire. Destruction. Death.

Reply to
CJT

live and dangerous subject to reverse polarity it could knock out your working circuit. and dangerous to the electric company lineman.

Reply to
buffalobill

if you know that the feed to the first outlet is damaged you would be safest to temporarily run a new wire from the breaker box to the first outlet. then do the repair properly as soon as possible.

otherwise just run an extension cord and use a power board for a temporary fix.

Reply to
marks542004

You may want to check out the website below and consider whether you want to become a candidate:

FYI: Any arrangement of a power cord with male plugs at both ends is called a suicide cord. Wanna guess why?

Reply to
Gideon

Well there are a number of Tom's in my family (about a half dozen generations of them at least). It could well be that your Tom may be related, but we did loose a lot of contacts when family members came over to the US. Pittsburgh would have been a likely location and we did have some move that way, I just don't know of any were named Tom. If you go back a little further all the Meehans are related and come from the northwest of Ireland. BTW I am a bit older than you are so I should have remembered him.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Did you try turning off the main breaker and turning it back on?

One side may have tripped and not got the other side.

If so the breaker probably should be replaced but flipping in off and on may get you going uintil the electrician can get there. It may also be a problem on the power company side, your next call if flipping the breaker doesn't fix it.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Will it make the other part of the house live "

People like you are the reason the electrical code exists. There are a million bad ways to run power. The fact that you are smart enough to ask first is in your favor. Let's hope this was a joke or if serious, that you didn't do such a thing. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick