Hotpoint dryer: dries only on cotton setting

My old Hotpoint electric dryer works on cotton but has no heat on permanent press or knits/delicate. I never worried about it too much, but I'm about to order a part for another problem and figured I should at least find out what might be causing it not to work on all of its cycles. (And see how much the parts cost, too. Might as well order everything at once.) I didn't see any reference to this problem on a couple of appliance sites.

Thanks in advance. Bill

Reply to
bill

Hi,

No model# posted.....but GE/HP often has 2 heat elements, one may be bad/open stopping the 2 cycles from working leaving just the one element and cycle heating up. Timer may be bad and only closing the contacts for the heat in that one cycle. Bad thermostat(s) or burnt off wire are other possible trouble makers.

Check the heat elements first!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

DLB2650BALWH

Makes sense: I noticed there were two heating coils behind the dryer drum.

Intuitively, I would have guessed that one would be for knits/delicate and the other for permanent press, with both getting juice for the cotton cycle. I'll have to dig out the continuity tester. Thanks - now I have a starting point at least.

Bill

Reply to
bill