Hot Water vent

I am sheet rocking the ceiling in a garage conversion, and I have a question. How do I sheet rock around the hot water vent where it goes in the attic, more precisely, can I put insulation above the sheetrock around the vent? Or do I need to keep the insulation away from the vent? This is a propane water heater.

Reply to
ronney

The water heater flue should be a pipe-in-a-pipe for just that reason. I think the outside diameter is usually 4" and the inside diameter is 3". With this type of vent, you need not be too careful on insulation and the like (sheetrock doesn't burn anyway - it's ROCK).

And the flue should not go INTO the attic, it should go THROUGH the attic on its way to the roof.

Reply to
HeyBub