Hot water to forced air

Page 4 of 4
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:31:17 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

On 1/4/2012 9:53 AM, JIMMIE wrote:

a large automotive heater core may fit the bill.
--
Steve Barker

Do a google under : Hot water heating coils for residential ductwork . Bear in mind that the added resistance of the heating coil in the supply duct may require a larger blower assembly to deliver enough airflow . Unless he has a huge daily storage of solar hot water...i wouldnt waste the time or the expense .
On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 09:22:07 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Putting a standard automotive radiator of say, 6 square feet area, into a 1.5 square foot return duct would have only 1/4 the apparent airflow restriction because of the plenum required to fit it in - and it would reduce the velocity through the rad by a factor of 4.
Using a thicker, smaller, higher resistance heater core in parallel, with it's own blower assist takes the airflow resistance question completely out of the equation.

One of the issues he is trying to figure out is how much radiator he will need to efficently couple the heat fron the solar panels to the interior of the house. I think he knows the one he is going to install in the fireplace is going to be way too small. I dont doubt it will heat the den the fireplace is in. I should be able to estimate this once he gets his test system up and going by measuring change in temp of the room and change in temp of the water flowing through the radiator.
Jimmie