Hot Water Tank Question

I need to replace my 30 gal. gas hot water tank. When I go for the new one, is it ok to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck, or should it be transported upright?

Just curious and thanks.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

on side gently is fine. I would get a larger tank, its nice to have more hot water and is a polus at home resale time.

I HAD a 30 gallon once, it was always running out of hot water

Reply to
hallerb

That's a good 'blanket statement' but with today's cost of energy it is probably best to size to the home and family needs. In a small house, 2BR with one bath, a 30 gallon may be plenty big and would save cost both in initial purchase and in long term use.

Reply to
Mark

30 gallon vs a 50 gallon operating expense is nearly the same, and a larger tank likely lasts longer because of less thermal stress, while adding comfort

riends had a 30 gallon tank and didnt know a larger one would fit, when we went to pick a new one up, I have a van and help transporting stuff.

they are very happy I convinced them to upsize

Reply to
hallerb

A 30 gal electric might be on the light side but 30 gal gas is probably the most commonly installed size.

Reply to
George

I've seen a lot of new construction in NJ recently and have never seen a 30 gal. Even in a small house today, you have not only a shower, but typically a dishwasher, washing machine, etc. Its not hard seeing some combination occuring where you run out of water. Especially given the small diff in cost, for most applications 40 is the most reasonable alternative.

Reply to
trader4

re: small house, 2BR with one bath , a 30 gallon may be plenty big

A small house, 2BR with one bath could easily mean 2 adults and 4 kids, all needing showers in the morning and ton of laundry. Been there, done that.

The size of the house has a whole lot less to do with the sizing of the HWH than the usage requirements do.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I remember the time my Dad put in a larger tank at the old house. It really was a polus.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We were very happy to have the couple extra galons of water. A bigger tank is an excellent idea. "We upped ours; up yours"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They are used in trailers "mobile homes". Sometimes a 40 gal won't fit through the access door. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

40 gallon is thre biggest seller and they put the arrows pointing up on the box for a reson transport upright as you can and possible damage the tank 30 yrs plumbing and a brother in law who is a rep for a tank company tells me Iam right.
Reply to
jim

most folks lay them down to take home, having a van i have hauled many this way for myself and friends

Reply to
hallerb

I just transported a 40 gallon in a van on the side. No problem for me. The Sears guy helped us put it in. Maybe he just wanted to sell us another one when it broke but I don't think so.

As for the size question, which was mentioned by some other folks, I just went from a 50 to a 40. 50 was way beyond our needs and the likely needs of any future buyer of my small house. But 30 might be on the low side. I don't think I even saw any 30s on display and I looked at Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes.

Reply to
dgk

You can lay it on its side for transport. There is nothing inside the tank that will be damaged by laying it down, like some refrigerators, for example.

If it is in a carton, make sure the gas regulator and other fittings are facing up. If not in a carton, you should protect the tank with blankets or other padding, with the gas & pressure fittings facing up, and make sure it can't roll.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

if you like me keep your tank on the cool side, so that full hot doesnt scald you, it reduces the effective volume of hot water available, but adds much life to your tank by reducing thermal shock by hot and cold cycles.

but cool folks like me benefit more by a larger tank

Reply to
hallerb