hot water tank haunted

Sounds strange but it took two weeks to discover the creaking sound in my basement was the hot water tank .It sounded like wood or concrete under stress. Anyway any ideas why the hot water tank should creak only when water is drawn Thanks all Frank
<DIV><FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode">Sounds strange but it took two weeks to discover the creaking sound in my basement was the hot water tank .It sounded like wood or concrete under stress. Anyway any ideas why the hot water tank should creak only when water is drawn</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks all </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode">&nbsp;Frank</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT face=Arial size=2>Mine creaks all the time.&nbsp; It probably has 10" of sediment in the bottom; maybe yours only has 5".</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

cold new water contracting the hot tank as it arrives thru the dip tube? here's a great site for water heater info: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com /