hot water suddenly rusty

Gas-fired HW heater, 7 yrs old.
Yesterday, our hot water suddenly became quite rusty. I've filled and drained the tank 3x so far, and it's not any cleaner. It may be coming dirtier, even. The cold water runs clean. Piping to the tank is all copper. I find no sign that the tank is leaking.
Any insight on how to clear this, or even as to what's going on, would be appreciated.
Thnaks, George

Time for a new hot water tank its about to start leaking the glass lining has probably failed.
how old is the tank? gas or electric?
George wrote:

Time for a new tank. It may be a defective tank, or it may have been a cheap tank and water that is hard on tanks.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:52:53 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

I just called the manufacturer (American Water Heater) about the warranty. They said to change the anode rod. I'm in the process of trying to get it off (no harm in looking). But, does this seem credible. There's really a lot of rust, and it did start very abruptly.
Thanks, George

Good luck do you have the hedroom to clear the rod vs cieling?

Yeah, lots of room above. The question is, do I have the torque? It's a 1 1/8* hex head, screwed into the top of the tank. So far, I haven't been able to budge it.
George
George wrote:

Squirt some penetrating oil or WD-40 on to it, let it sit overnight and try again. Whenever you do get it out, if you do, put the new one in with some teflon tape.

Don't chance a flooded house, or no hot water for a while. If this is an older unit, replace it. If it's under warranty, contact the manufacturer.
7 years seems a little soon for dying wh, curious, do you have it cranked up? Have hard water, or sulfer water?
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

As far as flooding, it's in the (very unfinished) basement. Not a big deal. As noted, the mfr is adamant that we try a new anode rod. That's not a big deal either, except it seems to be a PITA to get out.

I don't have a clear answer on the temp setting. A couple of months ago, we started getting 'not very hot' water from the tap. At that time, I found the t'stat set to the high end of "warm", which I think is 120F. I moved it up to the next mark on the dial, which might be 130F.
And, we do have pretty hard water.