Hot Water Radiation Q.

I have an Oil Furnace Hot Water Radiation with Baseboard Radiater heaters. Would it be benificial to me to insulate the hot water copper lines in the basement that are still visible with that Grey Foam Insulation stuff?
Thanks
--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak

Depends on what you mean by beneficial. It would be very unlikely to lower your heat bill, since the heat that is lost goes into heating conditioned space anyway. However, if you have a room that is too cool, it could help to insulate the line going to that room.

Depends. There is some heat loss from the pipes, but most of that heat in the basement rises anyway. You do need at least minimal heat there to prevent freezups and/or comfort. Net gain would be very minimal.
But I mean by the time the hot water travels up to the third floor (second floor in a 2 storey house) wouldn't there be loss of heat so it would take longer to heat those rooms? I would rather have that heat go to those rooms then to Minimally heat the basement, which is being heated my it's own zone anyway.
All I'm asking is, is it worth putting the money into pipe insulation, will it provide more heat to the upper levels??
Thanks.
--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak

So, you didn't read my answer, especially the last sentence.
I guess not enough~! LOL. So there would be a gain, but not enough to justify buying the insulation?
--
Steve

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
Just insulate it. The foam pipe wrap is cheap and if you live there for 10-30 years it is well worth it. If youre selling in 6 months dont bother.

Since you're heating the basement, then unless the basement is already too warm, I don't see that there is any gain from an energy cost standpoint. If the upper rooms are too cold, then keeping the water hotter on it's way there will provide more heat to that area and is probably worth doing. The insulation is cheap.

In most cases, no. If you have the old system with big iron pipes and a basement that is 85 degrees, then yes.

Don't feel bad, he didn't read mine either.