Hot water problem

All of a sudden my hot water is coming out of all my faucets scalding hot.
It did this once about a month ago.
Is my hot water heater going bad?
Postal68 wrote:

Water heater control.
Gas? Electric?
Electric, I looked at the temperature control knob and it is set almost to the minimum.

Postal68 wrote:

Controls do go bad and they are not difficult to replace. Should be 2 of them : upper and lower.
Another possibility is that one of the elements has developed an internal short or "leakage". That can cause overheating that the thermostat can't prevent.
Jim

Another thing that can cause an electric water heater to overheat is a situation where one of the thermostats is for some reason pulled back from contact with the side of the tank. Most thermostats are held against the tank by simple spring action. The back of the thermostat should be in direct contact with the tank.
Harry

The element either works, or is open and does not work at all. The element is controlled by an thermostatic on-off switch which could be defective or not making good physical contact with the tank and thus is not sensing the temperature as it should.