Hot water not available when very cold

Hi All, I have a on-demand gas hot water service and have found that when its quite cold in the mornings or late at night, i cant get any hot water. If i wait until it warms up a little, hot water flows through fine.
I have looked at the unit, and it is successfully sparking when hot water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears when it warms up a little.
Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt too nice.
Thanks for any help.
On Aug 17, 4:02�am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

get pro help, newer tankless models are highly complex, and require experienced sevice personell, plus parts can be expensive.
have you checked the service manual?

for general info how long have you lived with your tankless? in general how satisfied are you when its working ok?
inquiring minds want to know, many here are attracted to saving energy, but wonder what the downsides are?
thanks very much. which model do you own?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I myself just installed point of use small electric demand tankless water heaters. They work great. Shut off my oil burner and now that doesn't come on several times a day even when I don't use hot water. I have one for the bathroom for the sink and shower and one for the kitchen sink. I've also learned to question weather I really need to use hot water when I use water. Brushing my teeth? No. Rinsing my dishes? no. You'd be surprised how much you DON'T need hot water. I had a house one time that send hot water to the toilet to keep it from sweating. How wasteful is that?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

How about specifics: model, size, and so on? T

I used the Stiebel Eltrons model DHC3-1 and a Mini 3. Both are 25 amp 120 volt. I just put in a new 30 amp 220 breaker and ran 10-3 to a junction box and split it off in 2 120 volt circuits for each heater.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

most tankless electric are big disappointment, espically for showers.
so what models did you install and how many amps of power used?
I always use hot water to rinse dishes, to remove all traces of detergent, which might make you ill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I used the Stiebel Eltrons model DHC3-1 and a Mini 3. Both are 25 amp 120 volt. I just put in a new 30 amp 220 breaker and ran 10-3 to a junction box and split it off in 2 120 volt circuits for each heater.
--

> I always use hot water to rinse dishes, to remove all traces of

What unit did you install, what does it use in current.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Get a hot water tank

So to be free, I have to own a gun?
If I'm free, can't I decide for myself whether to own a gun?

If you are free, you can decide. If you are not allowed to decide for yourself, you are a slave.
On Aug 17, 4:02am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I am going to guess (and it is only a guess) there is a flame sensor and when it is too cold, it can't sense the flame.
That said, if the area where the unit is located is going below freezing, I think you have a problem. Standing water in the pipes are going to freeze and may cause you some very expensive problems. Maybe you want to provide some heat to that area.
On Aug 17, 3:02am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I will guess its the gas valve sticking, does the gas line have a dirt leg to keep debris out. Try tapping the valve next time it wont light. You say you hear spark are you sure it lights a pilot and not just the burner. Maybe a weak ignitor.

Hey Ransley, no it doesnt have dirt leg - but thats something i didnt think of, so i'll give that a go.
As far as the spark - i dont just hear it, i see it, and its quite strong, so i dont believe its that. But it looks fairly easy to replace, so will try that just incase.
And you are correct, it does light the burner directly - sorry for the confusion.