Hot water leak detector

Seen any at the local hardware stores?
I looked at Home Depot and Lowes in the hot water heater dept , and did not see anything, I wonder if Ace hardware sells them.
Thanks
Tom

Here is one that will even shut off the water line if it detects a leak
http://www.smarthome.com/7165.html
T > Seen any at the local hardware stores? T > T > I looked at Home Depot and Lowes in the hot water heater dept , and did not T > see anything, I wonder if Ace hardware sells them.
There is a water detection kit available at Marlin P. Jones (www.mpja.com), #5292-RB. Sounds an alarm when the remote sensor is activated. Of course this won't shut off the water like the X-10 device will.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Yo momma so fat the Himalayas are practices runs to prepare for her
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

And if I recall right from casually leafing thru their last catalog, a place called Improvements (www.improvementscatalog.com) sells that kind of alarm thingamajig, too.
AJS
I had an idea for a low-tech auto-shutoff system:
1. Install lever-operated ball valve in the inlet line. Position it so a hanging weight can pull the valve closed.
2. Hang sufficient weight from the lever to pull it closed.
3. Run a strong string from the weight, through one or more pulleys to the release device under the heater.
4. When the heater leaks, the support cord releases, letting the weight drop and pull the valve closed.
The release device is a 1" wood cube with a 7/16 hole bored halfway through it, and a 1/8" hole the rest of the way. Tie a long loop in the end of the support cord, thread it through the 1/8" hole. Drop an asprin tablet in the larger hole, so it's inside the loop, then pull the loop tightly around it. When the tablet gets wet, it lets the string loop cut through it and it pulls free of the block.
The block itself can be secured to any fixed object, via another string, wire hook, etc. (Not for use in damp basements)